Easy Way to Learn Chinese Characters: Memrise

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEasy Way to Learn Chinese Characters: Memrise

• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoIan.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All

I found a link on The Guardian website for learning Chinese characters. I have been using it over the last couple of days and seems to be working wonders for memorising characters. Memrise

Every word begins life as a seed, you nurture it until it sprouts in your greenhouse (short term memory), and then you transfer it to your garden (long term memory). Once in long term memory, you have to water it (review it) to keep it from wilting (fading).

You can learn loads of subjects not just Chinese. Check it out

This is a great website! Thanks so much for sharing!

Participant

Awesome site, thanks for sharing. Have been putting off doing the HSK for a while now, but the HSK course for level 5 looks like it will help me refresh and fill in any vocab gaps. Super convenient!

Keymaster

Awesome, this is a solid resource, hadn’t seen this before. These SMS memory recall learning systems are definitely the most efficient way of learning and remember new characters.

Keymaster

If anyone else is using Memrise to study Chinese, add me: http://www.memrise.com/user/justcharlie/ by clicking the green “Add Mempal” button.

I’ve been using Memrise for a year now, great stuff.

BTW it’s available for IOS devices as well:

Memrise on Ipad/Iphone etc

Keymaster
    Quote:
    BTW it’s available for IOS devices as well:

Not available in the U.S. App Store!

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010080011E13528178382407039

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010080021E13528178382407039

Took pics from my Ipad to prove that I am not insane, as it’s not Thursday 14:37 pm yet.

Shame that it’s gone from the US store, evil communist democrats OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Took pics from my Ipad to prove that I am not insane, as it’s not Thursday 14:37 pm yet.

Oh.. No, I understand, it’s available in the HK App Store (the link you provided previously works). Unfortunately I don’t think I can install it on my iPad for now. Memrise is still in beta, when it goes public is when they’ll probably release it to all of the App Stores around the world. Until then I’ll keep using Memrise.com

If you have an iphone you can download the app on it as well:)

Keymaster

I emailed Memrise about the iOS app availability and here’s what I got in response:

Quote:
    We did used to have an iOS app that went with our old, beta web-app. However we have now released the Memrise 1.0 web app, and so have retired the old iOS app which doesn’t work with the new site. We are building a new mobile app, but I’m afraid it will be another couple of months yet. I’m not sure why the hk app store still offers the old app – I will look into that at once!

In the meantime the Memrise 1.0 web app is designed to be nicely compatible with ipads and other tablets, and should work well on the iphone as well.

Have to say Memrise is awesome. After a two year avoidance of learning the language I started taking lessons recently, which incorporate getting to grips with the characters. Only trouble has been I haven’t really had a foothold on them while learning to speak at the same time, but Memrise is simplistically brilliant. The one thing that would make it even better would be a visualisation of the tones for Pinyin, but otherwise what a great tool for learning. Also reminds me of a huge memory system I picked up years ago that makes great use of visual association.

Thanks for posting this Ian.

Participant

My wife is amazed at my progress.

Participant

How is everybody doing with Memrise? I’m currently on HSK level 4

Keymaster

I stopped using Memrise and went back to Pleco flashcards on my iPhone. It’s easier to study characters in the idle time throughout the day than to sit down and dedicate time to it on the computer, I find. Memrise is really cool but another issue that I have with it is that I don’t want to study HSK vocabulary as much as I want to study words that are of immediate practical use to me.

Participant

Love this site! For a visual person, this is GREAT! Definitely going to download it and start the kids on it.

Participant

All they just updated app for ipad and iphone.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.