Elevators in Apartments?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionElevators in Apartments?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is kind of a random question, but as I am looking to move to Chengdu in a few months, and this is a concern, I thought I’d ask. I am a harpist, and as a person with a large, bulky and heavy instrument that moves on wheels and cannot negotiate stairs, I have to live in a building where my apartment is eiter on the ground floor or is accessible by elevator. What is the elevator situation with apartments in Chengdu, by and large? Does your building have an elevator? Do most of them?

Participant

Any building over I think 5 floors? has to have an elevator – most apartment complexes (newer ones) are 30 ish floors.. so unless you live in a really old building, you’ll likely be fine with your harp 😀

Do stop harping on about elevators Jessica.

Quote:
    Do stop harping on about elevators Jessica.

LargeThumbnail.jpg

Participant

Oh god the harp puns….

I look forward to meeting you all and playing for you someday soon!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Any building over I think 5 floors? has to have an elevator – most apartment complexes (newer ones) are 30 ish floors.. so unless you live in a really old building, you’ll likely be fine with your harp 😀

Most residential buildings in Chengdu are over 5 floors and do not have an elevator. New buildings all seem to have elevators since they don’t construct residential buildings less than 10 stories these days, it seems. Finding an apartment with an elevator should be no problem although certain districts have more or less new developments. Yulin, for example, has only a handful of newly constructed complexes with elevators like Wangfu Garden.

Participant
    Quote:
    over 5 floors and do not have an elevator

What’s the highest residential complex you’ve seen without one? I was told long ago that there was a law in Chengdu for complexes over a certain height to have elevators, which is why almost all the older buildings are the same height – the maximum without an elevator… maybe it’s 6+roof or 7, what’s the highest building you’ve seen without one?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    What’s the highest residential complex you’ve seen without one?

7th floor is the highest that I’ve seen without one, I believe. It seems that decades ago they constructed every residential building to a very specific height. When I look out at surrounding neighborhoods from my rooftop, nearly all of the buildings look identical.

Participant

I live on the top floor, 7th floor without an elevator. As Charlie says, all surrounding old buildings are of the same height.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.