Ethnic Supermarkets in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEthnic Supermarkets in Chengdu

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoSS.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

So Treat is changing for the worst and they lack anything I need anymore. I’ve been cooking a lot recently and I’m now looking for more Ethnic supermarkets.

I’ve heard about the Indian supermarkets in Chengdu, but has anyone seen a Japanese or Korean supermarket? I don’t mean like one of the big department stores like Ito Yokado, but smaller shops that sell harder-to-get ingredients for example: Kosari

Participant

Agreed – I was looking for chocolate and beer in there the other day, they have less selection and much higher prices than Carrefour.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    So Treat is changing for the worst and they lack anything I need anymore. I’ve been cooking a lot recently and I’m now looking for more Ethnic supermarkets.

What kind of changes? I think Treat specializes in imported (Western) items. My impression is that their selection of imported products is much greater than Carrefour, which is good, but still restricted to a pretty small area.

Participant

I’m sure its been touched on before, but where are the Indian supermarkets? I want to pick up some garam masala and cardamom pods.

Participant

Vince wrote this 8 months ago…

Quote:
    At the 2nd ring road which crosses with Ren Min nan lu there is a Wang Fujin mall. At the first floor in the back is a big supermarket which sells a lot of spices. It’s slightly more expensive than Trustmart, but they have more choice.

But I recall there being an actual indian grocer here.

Participant

Cool, thanks.

Participant

according to the facebook fan page there is one at:

Linyin Street No.13 (North Gate)

Lin Yin Jie, Wu Hou Qu, Chengdu, Sichuan, China, 610000

Participant

link?

Participant

Small Korean supermarkets, definitely….. There at least used to be one near Jiuyanqiao and I know of one near Gaoshengqiao (will look up address later) I have also seen small Vietnamese shops, though they usually had only candy/dried stuff and toiletries. Japanese would be tougher. Might try asking at one of the Japanese restaurants in town.

Participant

Oh, Sabrina’s had green cardamom pods the last time I was in there too…

Participant

SS, I would love you if you got me the addresses to the Korean and Viet ones. I don’t blame you about not being able to find Japanese ones in Chengdu.

Participant

Ha, totally forgot about this topic until the maintenance glitches caused me to check my account activity.

Korean: 高升桥南街8号附9号
    http://cdwellbeing.com/

There is a Thai/Viet one on Jiao Da road, opposite the gate of the university. 抚琴西路新4号附6号 is the address on the card, which does not really match the location…so think it is another branch of the same shop.

Oh, and there is a Japanese one, near the Japanese Friendship Centre south of the consulate.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.