Fiber optic Internet?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFiber optic Internet?

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey everyone just wanted to see if people who live in my area in Times Residence able to get fiber Internet through China telecom?

Participant

Hi, you’ve maybe seen the speed test thread already

https://www.chengduliving.com/forum/topic/whats-your-internet-speed-in-chengdu

I’m not sure what you’re requirements are. But I guess even if you had fiber to your apartment, no provider will offer a package to provide fiber speeds.

To my understanding, 8Mb is a high end domestic contract, and those that sign up for it are lucky to ever get those speeds.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hey everyone just wanted to see if people who live in my area in Times Residence able to get fiber Internet through China telecom?

I’ve never heard of anyone in Chengdu having fiber internet, ever. That would be incredible if it were available for less than 800 yuan a month though.

China Telecom charge 500RMB per Mb for fiber. So a 4Mb/s fiber connection is going to set you back 2000RMB!

Participant

Maybe it depends where you live. When I moved, I had my DSL “transferred”..only they didn’t transfer DSL. They installed Fiber..

I don’t know the cost, I presume it’s the 159?rmb/month or whatever. My place is at the new complex across from Ikea just inside 3rd ring.. will take a photo of the incoming box sometime and post.

Speed however is seemingly not much faster than my old DSL connection.

I forgot about the new home “fiber” connections. As far as I am aware they are contended (probably 50 to 1 or higher) and traffic shaped similar to ADSL connections. It would be interesting to see some latency tests compared with ADSL though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.