Finally visiting … now some queries

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFinally visiting … now some queries

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

Finally visiting Chengdu (and my Chengdu based Chinese gf) for the first time in 10 days. This trip has only been delayed 3x, though we did spend 5 weeks together in California this past August. I’ll be there 2 weeks from 28 Sept -11 Oct. So a few things that come to mind (though I’m sure others will surface):

1. Have an iPhone4, would it be worthwhile to obtain a China Unicom SIM so I can stay in touch with my gf and use its other data features? (maps, weather, Skype, etc)
    2. Plan to bring my laptop, however don’t know what I’ll require to use it (for example, are there Wifi locations I can use?) and don’t know what I won’t be able to access when in China (seriously doubt I’ll be able to access Google or read the NY Times, but wonder about my gmail email box). Could someone please enlighten me on these and all things related?
    3. I read on the Internet that Golden week is probably one of the worse times to visit (and I’ll be visiting on both sides of the 1-7 Oct holiday). Any advice?
    4. My gf plans to have us travel to some hot springs as well as mountain areas. I recall she visited hot springs with friends last year over this holiday and took them a whole day to travel due to traffic. We plan to leave on 29th, before the holiday begins. Will that beat the traffic crowds? Would 28th be even better?
    5. Can I drive her car with my NZ and/or California Driver’s License?
    6. Can I used my US and/or NZ Credit Card in China? Any advice or opinions on this?
    7. Where would be the best place(s) to exchange NZ$ to RMBs?
    8. How much RMBs should I travel around with? Large or small denominations or a combo of both?

Like I said, I’m sure other queries will come to mind, however in the interim I’m open to all advice and yes even opinions 😉

Thanks in advance.

WFR

Participant

1. Make sure you iPhone is unlocked if you want to use it with a Chinese SIM card.  Also, check the phone’s bandwidth for whether you can use it with 2G, 3G or 4G data usage.

2. Wi-Fi locations are abundant.  Nearly every coffee/tea shop, restaurant, hotel, and places in between have it (maybe not at your local noodle shop though).  You should have no problems getting internet.  However, you will not be able to access many sites from the West including Facebook, NY Times, anything Google (including Gmail), Twitter, many blog sites, etc.  These restrictions are always changing, so you’ll just have to find out when you get here and either A) deal with it, or B) Get a VPN (http://startuplivingchina.com/best-vpn-for-china/ or http://www.bestvpn-china.com/blog/21374/5-best-vpns-for-china-june-2015/).

3. Advice: Golden Week is one of the worst times to travel around China.  You can only buy tickets so far in advance (I think one week), so get them early.  Same with booking hotels.  Let’s just put it this way, it won’t be smooth traveling.  Your Chengdu girlfriend can probably give you better advice on this.

4. Tough question. I think any time relatively close to the Golden Week days will offer you craziness on the roads or at train/bus stations.  Don’t be surprised if you DO spend a whole day in traffic.

5. Theoretically, yes you can drive her car whenever you want.  Technically, no you can’t.  You need a local or an international driver’s license (and even with the international one I believe you’ll still need to take the local test – you may want to search other forum posts on this one).

6. Yes, you can use a foreign credit card in China.  Make sure it is Visa or Mastercard and that you contact your bank before coming; they will put a hold on your card otherwise.  Just note that China is a cash-based economy.  If you’re going to malls or higher-end shops, you should have no problem using it.  If you go to local restaurants or bargaining at a market, they won’t accept it.  Basically, use your card to get money from an ATM (Bank of China, China Construction Bank, or ICBC will be your best bet and there’s one on nearly every street corner) and simply use cash — you won’t go wrong.

7. Best places to exchange would be at: 1) A bank in NZ before you arrive, 2) the airport upon arrival, 3) Bank of China (middle of the city branch on RenMin North Road is probably your best bet for accepting NZD).  Or, you can use your card at an ATM.  All of these have different rates.

8. There is no real amount I could suggest because everyone’s spending habits are different.  Travel around with both big and small denominations, but you will quickly notice that everyone wants exact change or something close to it.  Thievery can be a problem in China, so be careful with how much you carry around at one time.  As of today, the exchange rate for 1 NZD is 4.05 CNY.

Participant

My sincere thanks Julius for the comprehensive answers.

1. I’ve used my NZ iPhone4 in both US & Australia so it must be unlocked, and I know it’s a 3G phone.
    2. Assuming my not using a VPN, is there any email platform acceptable to both US & China (for example is Yahoo or mail.com acceptable?)
    3. My gf already has reservations so we’re all covered there
    4. It’s the travel & traffic that concerns her more than me, though admittedly I’m not a fan of LA or SF type traffic! My attitude is “It’s all part of the adventure” … only concern is, what do you do if you “need to go” and there’s no service facilities along the road? Lol
    5. Simple … I’ll let her drive 😉
    6. CC & $$$/RMB advice noted 😉
    Participant

what do you do if you “need to go” and there’s no service facilities along the road?

Highways out of the city are speckled with convenience stops that have food, big (and from my experience relatively clean, surprisingly) bathrooms, gas stations etc. If you generally know when you’ll need to go in advance (minutes, not hours) you’ll typically be able to get by between stops.

Participant

1. Yahoo or Hotmail can be accessed without a VPN.

2. When people need to go, they go wherever they please.  In the city, you’ll see little children stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to relieve themselves.  There are also public toilets everywhere.  When you get out of the city, though, there are rest-stops on major highways or…yeah, just simply pull over.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.