Finding a Housekeeper

HomeForumsIn ChengduFinding a Housekeeper

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I want to hire a company/person to come tidy my home. The initial plan was to hire them to do it once then depending on how well they did, if I feel good about them etc have them come every second week or so. But contacted a couple housekeeping companies and they only sell batches of hours so having them doing it once then deciding whether to continue hiring them is not an option.

Therefore I’m wondering if anyone got any housekeeping company to recommend? Or got any other info or advice. Thanks!

Oh this old chestnut!!

I’ve been looking for a decent housekeeper for eons myself, and still can’t get my head around the stupidity of cleaning companies not offering a trial session before trying to sell you anywhere from 500-2000 RMB’s worth of cleaning up front. Chengdu house keepers are under siege of the Bulk Buy Cleaning Mafia!!

Any inside info greatly appreciated in strict confidence!

Participant

Your wu guan will have cleaning ladies, and they’re often happy to make some extra cash, and are generally cheaper than the cleaning companies. I used one for a while and the main advantage was that she was literally downstairs, so it was handy, cos if the place was more disgusting than usual, i could just run downsatairs and call her. As Brendan said, the quality of service varies, but she was pretty good.

Quote:
    Your wu guan will have cleaning ladies

My wu what?!

Participant

The community board…um….the guys who administer your building…the ones who run the building.eg. parking, rubbish removal, security …someone help me here, kinda lost for words…what the hell is the English word for wu guan?

I already tried the building management, and they sent me two ladies, one bucket of dirty water, a mop, and some grubby looking rags! I had to literally send their manager to the store to buy cleaning products, and have her oversee the cleaners. 3 hours later I was graciously charged 200 RMB for my assistance!

wu guan = management company for your appartment complex

Finding a decent housekeeper is next to impossible, especially if you have high standards.

Participant

Gotta micro-manage and crack the whip!!! “Hey old woman, you missed a spot on the ceiling! Whatta you mean it’s too high? Grab a ladder!”

Participant
    Quote:
    I already tried the building management, and they sent me two ladies, one bucket of dirty water, a mop, and some grubby looking rags! I had to literally send their manager to the store to buy cleaning products, and have her oversee the cleaners. 3 hours later I was graciously charged 200 RMB for my assistance!

I have had the same experience as you, and don’t want to go there again. Anyways, if I find a company I can recommend then I’ll let you people know.

Keymaster

I know a pretty good cleaner. She charges 50 yuan to clean my place (3BR 130 sq. meters), and she ordinarily brings one other person with her and is in there for about 90 minutes cleaning the place up.

She speaks Sichuanhua but understands Mandarin, so be ready for that: 135-4064-3542

Participant

I’m in bad shape on this one. I had a daily maid take care of all my stuff for more than 6 years..almost 7 I guess. She did literally everything menial for me: shopping, cooking (when I didn’t want to), cleaning, laundry, bathe my kitties, pay my bills, go to the bank if I needed some cash (yes, that kinda trust :D), arrange other repairs or services to keep everything runnin’ smooth..but for various reasons she quit about 2 months ago, gettin’ married or something. Since then my place has slowly become more and more a mess, I can’t keep up..but in a similar way as breaking off a long-term relationship, not really in a hurry to get a new maid.

That being said, my new place should be ready in a few months and I’m going hunting. I believe the best method to get these kind of maids is to hire a bunch of people from different cleaning companies and watch their proactivity and general attentiveness to detail, then offer them more than their quite low salaries for full-time cleaning service and more time off on their part. You can even split their service with friends you know who live nearby if you want to cut the cost and get them earning more – that’s what me and some of my friends did (well, I kinda lent mine out so she could make some extra cash…).

Long-term maids are the only way to go, not random cleaning companies who send little to nothing in terms of product or consistency with whom they send. Need to have someone who knows you and what you value / consider important when they’re taking care of your stuff.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Long-term maids are the only way to go, not random cleaning companies who send little to nothing in terms of product or consistency with whom they send. Need to have someone who knows you and what you value / consider important when they’re taking care of your stuff.

I’m of the same mind. Find someone reliable and stick with them. I do the same thing with barber shops: search relentlessly for a trustworthy place and then stick with it for as long as you can. Because finding skilled and reliable people is something you want to do once and be done with it.

Participant

What do/did you pay them Rick/Charlie? I have a cool one right now. She does the dishes, tidies up the place and cleans the floors 1 day a week and I pay her 50rmb for about 2-2.5 hours. She just leaves when she’s done and I don’t complain about it, but maybe 25rmb/hour is a little bit overpriced?

I paid 10rmb/hr for my previous one who did about the same, but it took her longer as well…

Anyway I’m not getting rid of her to save up like 1 taxi drive a week. Reading this topic, it doesn’t seem too easy to find a decent new one!

Participant

What do/did you pay them Rick/Charlie? I have a cool one right now. She does the dishes, tidies up the place and cleans the floors 1 day a week and I pay her 50rmb for about 2-2.5 hours. She just leaves when she’s done and I don’t complain about it, but maybe 25rmb/hour is a little bit overpriced?

I paid 10rmb/hr for my previous one who did about the same, but it took her longer as well…

Anyway I’m not getting rid of her to save up like 1 taxi drive a week. Reading this topic, it doesn’t seem too easy to find a decent new one!

Participant

She always tries to hide it when she breaks something though hahah, who knows how many stuff I’ve lost so far without knowing!

What about theft? Anyone paranoia about a Chinese person stealing your stuff? I always have money laying around everywhere… Wouldn’t notice a thing!

Participant

She always tries to hide it when she breaks something though hahah, who knows how many stuff I’ve lost so far without knowing!

What about theft? Anyone paranoia about a Chinese person stealing your stuff? I always have money laying around everywhere… Wouldn’t notice a thing!

Quote:
    …but maybe 25rmb/hour is a little bit overpriced?

If I had a maid I was happy with, 25 RMB an hour would seem like a steal!

Quote:
    …but maybe 25rmb/hour is a little bit overpriced?

If I had a maid I was happy with, 25 RMB an hour would seem like a steal!

Participant

I just move to a diffrent apartment recently .I have called a clean company ,I got their card under my door.They constanly put the card under my old apartment door , quite annoying every time when i go back home always have a card there.

So when I move to new place I decide I make a call to this clean company, the receptionest is a sweet voice. Next day come to my apartment was a boy. He don’t have basic skill to clean smoke extractor just after 10mintues of working he hurt his fingers, it’s bleeding, so i have to hurry find out band-aid to help him. after another 10 mintues he said this smoke extractor is too old for clean, then i said it’s ok I can throw this smoke extractor away and buy new one. So can you clean the wall of bathroom? he said he can, so he use another 10 mintues to clean the wall of bathroom. I pay 60yuan for all of this. the price for clean smoke extractor we disscuss before.

After he leave when wall of bathroom dry. I just find out it’s still dirty!!!

the next day I call this company again same boy coming. I ask him reclean the wall of bathroom . He said it’s alredy done yesterday he refuse to do it again, I was really angry, so I ask him leave.

then I do all the work!

Is this a bad story? yes it is! I already give up:)

Participant

I just move to a diffrent apartment recently .I have called a clean company ,I got their card under my door.They constanly put the card under my old apartment door , quite annoying every time when i go back home always have a card there.

So when I move to new place I decide I make a call to this clean company, the receptionest is a sweet voice. Next day come to my apartment was a boy. He don’t have basic skill to clean smoke extractor just after 10mintues of working he hurt his fingers, it’s bleeding, so i have to hurry find out band-aid to help him. after another 10 mintues he said this smoke extractor is too old for clean, then i said it’s ok I can throw this smoke extractor away and buy new one. So can you clean the wall of bathroom? he said he can, so he use another 10 mintues to clean the wall of bathroom. I pay 60yuan for all of this. the price for clean smoke extractor we disscuss before.

After he leave when wall of bathroom dry. I just find out it’s still dirty!!!

the next day I call this company again same boy coming. I ask him reclean the wall of bathroom . He said it’s alredy done yesterday he refuse to do it again, I was really angry, so I ask him leave.

then I do all the work!

Is this a bad story? yes it is! I already give up:)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.