Flies in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFlies in Chengdu

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

AHHHHHH!

What the eff.

I’ve been camping before but this is nasty. It’s like clouds of flies/mosquitos/knats!

I don’t even want to know what they are.

Why are there so many!?

Participant

I see clouds swarming in random places on sidewalks, usually nearby trees.. hate having to walk near/thru them.

Participant

I see clouds swarming in random places on sidewalks, usually nearby trees.. hate having to walk near/thru them.

Participant

For about a week now I also notice a shitload of ‘thundeflies’ (litteraly translaterd from Dutch: dondervliegjes; usually you see them right before a thunderstorm.)but now they are just there all day long. Maybe something to do with the phosphorbombs they have been shooting?

Participant

phosphorbombs?

Participant

just that time of year

Participant

:), not phosphor indeed, dont see that working out too well. but have been hearing things about weather control stuff related to world forum in june. like the stuff they did during olympics.

Participant

Stephane is talking about cloud seeding (Relevant article: Can China control the weather?)

Participant

Yeah – there were news reports that they recently lit off a few, that’s what created the last good rain we had (like a week ago?)..

Coming back from the airport last night there was an awful sulphur smell for the first half of the taxi ride. Any clue?

Participant

No idea, but there’s a manhole cover nearby my place that recently when I walk past, also has a very strong sulfur smell.. I don’t know if there’s something trailing around some parts of Chengdu’s underground lately – maybe due to construction? There’s tons of construction goin on out near airport too..

Participant

Those gnats are a damned nuisance! I was out on my motorbike yesterday and it seemed like the entire area just south of San Huan Lu was one big swarm. It STILL feels like I have them crawling everywhere.

Remember that there was a couple of days like this last year as well, but I don’t remember it being this bad, or this early in the spring for that matter, but then again it’s been a very warm spring and with the drought many pools are low with no animals to eat the insect eggs, so I guess it’s just a natural occurrence.

Participant

Definitely nothing to do with construction (at least I think). We live just underneath the construction for the second ring road and it is full of them down here but got covered quite a bit on my cycle to school and I work half way between the second ring road and Ito Yokado/Walmart in Chenghua.

I’m beginning to wonder where construction companies are hauling their soil for back fill from, since my site is awash with flies following this today. There’s also a taint of this same sulphur smell to it.

Hmmmm…

Participant

It would make sense that the flies are coming from the soil to fuel all the construction. Chengdu’s outsides are a lot of farms. Seeing as most of these little buggers are fruit flies, it would make sense for them to come from the farms.

And ya, I didn’t run through a cloud of them, but I have this feeling that they are always on me since I randomly itch now!

It’s not even like I get mosquito bites that are itchy, but I end up with this slightly red rash. Ugh…

Participant

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-water-pollution-2013-3#gnats-cover-railings-along-the-east-lake-in-wuhan-hubei-province-in-november-2009-the-small-flies-appear-in-the-lake-because-of-water-pollution-and-will-leave-when-the-temperature-drops-20

If You Think China’s Air Is Bad, You Should See the Water

Gnats cover railings along the East Lake in Wuhan, Hubei province in November 2009. The small flies appear in the lake because of water pollution and will leave when the temperature drops.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/china-water-pollution-2013-3?op=1#ixzz2PDXni62z

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.