Friends in Chengdu, How are you???

HomeForumsClassifiedsPersonalsFriends in Chengdu, How are you???

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’m Keith and I’m from Australia, I’m returning to Chengdu for the second time and hope to make it a better experience than last time.

I was previously here for two years however I had a hectic work schedule and spent most of my time working, eating and sleeping.  This time I’m on a mission to get to know more of Chengdu not just Tongzilin where I previously lived.

So I guess what I am looking for can be best summed up in a short list lol, best be to the point right?

* Local Running groups and events list (I’m into marathon running)

* Areas in Chengdu where I might learn Chinee Martial Arts (good for core strength)

* Some good places where I can meet open, honest like-minded people like me (local and foreign)

*Best local and foreign clubs & pubs (I love live music, not a big drinker, don’t mind a dance)

*Best places to eat (especially traditional Sichuan food, I ain’t scared of the spice)

Not in order of preference lol, just how it typed out.

Anyway I am open minded and full of adventure, I love exploring and I will try pretty much anything.  I’m also into cycling, especially long distance (best ride was to Dujiangyen and back in a day) and I am a fan of folding bikes (Dahon, etc).

So guys and gals from all walks of life who reside in CD, send me a message and share your secrets of this amazing city with me and show me what is has to offer.

Look forward to hearing from you, Oh, arriving July 12th 2014 😀

Cheers,

Keith

Participant

Hey Keith,

Don’t really bike much in China, but I’ve seen some bike riding groups on this forum, you should definitely check them out.

Live music, do you consider DJs doing their own set to be live music? If yeah, then there are lots of places to go. If you want actual local bands, a lot of the 5-star hotels invite bands to play at their bars (Shangri-La, Ritz). I’m from California, so I’m fine with EDM blasting from some loud speakers. They have that at even the grimiest of clubs.

Depends on which district to live, but good food is everywhere. A lot of the old traditional famous places are in Qingyang district (where I live), but Wuhou and especially Tongzilin also have a lot of good Western food.

Hope you have fun your 2nd time around, I’ve been here 2 months and Chengdu is one of the dopest cities I’ve lived in, you can add me on wechat: dannylou88

Keymaster

Hey Keith, welcome.

Local Running groups and events list (I’m into marathon running)

There are some local running groups, but not many that I’ve heard of. Look into the Hash Harriers. They have a run scheduled for June 8th so it looks like they’re pretty active. They describe themselves as a drinking group with a running problem.

Areas in Chengdu where I might learn Chinee Martial Arts (good for core strength)

There’s a local kung fu master who’s really badass and a cool guy, his name is Master Li Quan. We published an article about him and his training center a while ago, which you can check out here: Kung Fu Family in Chengdu. Here’s his LinkedIn, too.

Best places to eat (especially traditional Sichuan food, I ain’t scared of the spice)

The list is long… but some of the best restaurants are in the South of the city, around Yulin in the SE and Sichuan University in the SE. There are a lot of good Sichuan restaurants in between the two, around the Zongnan and Zongbei areas also.

Best local and foreign clubs & pubs (I love live music, not a big drinker, don’t mind a dance

Check out Here We Go. It’s closed temporarily right now but should be open by the time you arrive.

Anyway I am open minded and full of adventure, I love exploring and I will try pretty much anything. I’m also into cycling, especially long distance (best ride was to Dujiangyen and back in a day) and I am a fan of folding bikes (Dahon, etc).

If you’re into cycling, definitely check out Natooke in Chengdu. They organize group rides regularly, create amazing custom bikes, and are the go-to people to seek for cycling-related stuff in Chengdu.

Participant

Hey Keith!

I am also new in Chengdu! I love to run so I would love to join you for a run when you’re here!

Participant

Hi Keith,
    -Do you know Panda Hush? its a running club, but they only run every other week. I also has a friend, she seems in a running club, runing more frequently. If you like I can ask her for you.
    -If you want to learn Mandarin, you can check http://irainbowconcept.com its the best Chinese school in Chengdu, has many type of exlusive crriculum, you must will love it. Also they organize interested event regularly, cooperate with many other companies, bring fun to people here, expat and Chinese, make a culture bridge for them.
    -If you like to experience real local life and love foreginer bar, I suggest Jiu Yan Qiao, its a place can meet your needs.

Hope its help! Good luck!

http://irainbowconcept.com

Participant

Awesome!!!! thanks s much for the info

Participant

Oh, bugger. Is this Aussie bastard coming back? Well I guess forewarned means better prepared.

Lock up your beers and barbecues, people.

Participant

And then you can try to guess who this is, shouldn’t be too hard, now should it.

Gonna be good to have ya back.

Participant

Hahahahahaha, just your beers you need to worry about mate.  You can fire up the BBQ but and grab a few snags and a steak or two while your at it lol

Participant

Cheers mate, I am looking forward to it, 24 days to go and counting

Participant

Chengdu seems to be a happening city from what I’ve read so far. I will coming there as an English Instructor/Teacher too. It will be my first time and I plan to make the most of it from the get go. I’ve been too stressed (for the better) in the past 2 years and I want to add a little fun and enjoyment to my life.

Running is the cousin of walking, which I do a lot of and fast but never for fun!

Participant

For live music I wouldnt suggest Here We Go… they seem to have DJs but not many bands. Also personally I hate the hotel bands which have like 0 charisma and mostly sing covers. Id recommend you check out jah bar near laonanmendaqiao for live music and to just watch some talented people/hacks jam or join in. Next door is Carols where they frequently host salsa night on tuesday and friday (pretty good mixed drinks too, except the pina colada & mojito. Dont get those). For live music by real bands (vs a “built to order” band in asia) I’d suggest little bar. It’s got a bit of crusty/edgy/hard core/punk music scene which I miss sooo much though I have seen Proximity Butterfly (a local band) simply too many times for one human to accept, but hey it’s better than nothing. Sometimes you can find live musicians playing random music from chinese fultes to jazz on street corners. Near Gaoshengqiao in the Tibetan district there is a trust mart and behind that (near a suining plaza) and next to gaoshengqiaodongjie is a kind of tibetan market where some old guys play pipes and drums to make a kind of funky Asian style flamenco. It’s amazing.
    Once in a while there are some music festivals. the last one I enjoyed was “made in Chengdu” and some art shows will also have a music component.

I basically stalk all the music but I can’t play anything. Really miss being able to go to a cheap or free show every night if I wanted to.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Personals’ is closed to new topics and replies.