Gastroenteritis at Midtown Pizza Hut

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGastroenteritis at Midtown Pizza Hut

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve only been in China for 3 weeks now…and have been in Chengdu for 2 weeks in total so far. I’m having an awesome time here, well I was until Tuesday afternoon when I ate at Pizza Hut, Midtown (Chenghua) and then threw up for 3 days after. I’m not usually the kind of person to write mean things about restaurants and steer people away from going there, however when something needs to be said, it needs to be said. The quality of the food there is absolutely disgusting and unless you want to spend 3 days throwing up your insides I suggest you choose somewhere else to eat. Especially when according to the doctor I saw, I’m not the only person who has developed a food related illness from that particular Pizza Hut.

So, I complained to the Pizza Hut HQ (in China, obv) and have just received a useless phone call from them explaining that they are sorry. I’ve been seriously ill for 3 days, had to miss work (I’ve only been in my job for just under 2 weeks), lost out on income and now have to deal with claiming back the expenses for my medical bill and they’re just sorry? But can do nothing for me? Great customer service, I can’t wait to experience more of this shit.

Quote:
    I can’t wait to experience more of this shit.

Welcome.

You’ll need to develop a thicker skin if you plan on being here for any length of time. You have a world of bizarre and infuriating events and incidences ahead of you in the mixed up marvel that is China.

Also, don’t eat at Pizza Hut. Ever.

Hope you’re back on track soon.

Participant

I think my stomach is perhaps adjusting to Chinese oils etc, however until this particular incident I hadn’t been coping too badly at all. I ate Calamari, which is pretty much a bacterial dream. Gross.

Participant

Thanks though, I’m currently drowning myself in fluids and antibiotics in the hope that this shitting illness doesn’t ruin my entire weekend also.

Participant

There’s some adjusting to in terms of food. Even if the first few weeks seem to go alright, you’re bound to run into some sort of rumble in the jungle.

This time of year is also added risk, especially at places that let their foods set out. After a winter of letting foods set for period of time I think folks just try and get away with it in warmer weather. I notice that in Spring my gut starts giving me more guff than usual.

And as Brendan said, never eat the Hut. It’s widely known to be on UNESCO’s “This Place Sucks” list.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    And as Brendan said, never eat the Hut. It’s widely known to be on UNESCO’s “This Place Sucks” list.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. After going once or twice, I never felt the need to return, Pizza Hut is terrible in China. It’s nothing like in the states at all, here its a high brow cloth napkin joint where you bring dates or people you want to impress. For my entire life before China, Pizza Hut was the place you take a group of 8 year olds to eat after a weekend soccer game.

Also, food poisoning will eventually happen, I’m convinced. It didn’t happen to me until a few months ago, and it really sucked, but once it’s past you you’ll feel much better. Like Brendan said, living in China really teaches you to roll with the punches. It’s an important skill to develop.

Participant

Yeah, I feel loads better now. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so ill though, it was vile. People have given me the whole “don’t eat Western food in China” deal but I’m not buying that. I went to Peter’s Tex Mex with my boyfriend at the weekend and the food was pretty awesome (and the cocktails weren’t too shabby either). I am craving really good Chinese food, unfortunately besides some really awesome dumpling places, we’re yet to find somewhere which isn’t seriously overpriced. Thoughts?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I went to Peter’s Tex Mex with my boyfriend at the weekend and the food was pretty awesome (and the cocktails weren’t too shabby either)

Peter’s is good, it’s one of the handful of Western restaurants in Chengdu that most foreigners like. Other highly recommended Western restaurants in the city:

The Lazy Pug

Mike’s Pizza Kitchen

The Bookworm

Quote:
    I am craving really good Chinese food, unfortunately besides some really awesome dumpling places, we’re yet to find somewhere which isn’t seriously overpriced. Thoughts?

Good Chinese food is exceptionally easy to find in Chengdu, there are restaurants everywhere! What I suggest is just try all of the ones within a block or two of where you live, and determine which ones you like best, and then frequent those. Try new dishes and experiment. This will help: A Sichuan Restaurant Menu Translated

Participant

We stopped in at the Bookworm Thursday night and were delighted to find a jazz trio show up during our meal. We missed the beginning of the author’s lecture for the evening, but that would’ve been fun to hear, too. The Bookworm has my vote for a very pleasant place to have a casual meal and/or drink. We also happened to sit next to a bookshelf filled with language instruction books, so I scored/checked out a beginning Mandarin book along with the 10% discount on the meal with a ‘membership.’

Participant

Just to add a few things if it helps: but first of all the Bookworm is highly recommended in my opinion; its less than 5 minutes’ walk from my home, and its like a home from home for me.

As for the foodie thing, well this is personal, but I try to minimise my Western style eating and seldom have any issues with Chinese/Sichuan restaurants nowadays. Its been a while since I’ve had to think about it but try a few, work out which ones you like and I’d also suggest sticking with the busier ones with plentiful food turnover so there’s less chance of leftover food. Quiet western restaurants to be avoided generally too, apart from Pizza Hut already mentioned to be avoided always! We very often cook at home too which I enjoy as my missus tries to show me how to cook Sichuan style. There’s also nothing quite like a good Sichuan Hotpot (huo guo) 🙂

But a wee note on getting the runs etc. too. I’ve been in China for most of the last 14 years and inevitably you’re going to have a digestive event from time to time. Just “listen” to your body, take care of those feelings early and be prepared… e.g. carry paper with you!!! Many a foreigner in my early Beijing days had to make use of their socks and underwear in emergencies…..!!! Mostly courtesy of the Mexican Wave in those days. But we foreigners also take varying time to adjust to different bacteria and foodstuffs (like oils here in Sichuan) and it takes a while to achieve a balance.. And finally…please remember to wash your hands properly before eating – it may be yourself that has actually carried those bugs into the restaurant – there’s a litany of possibilities there but that’s for another list I fear!! I always try to do so but sometimes cant or I do forget. But just think about what you may have touched or done before sitting down, and take in what’s going on around you? Is Nine Pants Joe still out there somewhere – now just where did that E-Coli come from??? 😀

Participant

The odd thing is that both me and Georgia ate the calamari but I am absolutely fine. She says I have a stomach made of cast iron so I am a very tough target for dodgy food but given the food at Pizza Hut was clearly contaminated, I expected to get ill too.

Maybe I’m just looking at the wrong place, but is The Bookworm open until late on a week-end? As Georgia said, we’ve tried Peter’s Tex-Mex and the burger there was among the best I’ve ever eaten but would be nice to try another Western joint as our week-end treat. The Bookworm is a candidate but not sure about opening times.

Participant

Bookworm is open until late every day. Kitchen normally closes at 11:00pm.

I recommend pizza mandinlino? (I think thats the name) In tongzilin. Handmade wood fire cooked pizzas. They are amazing!!! even better then what i would get at home. plus all there other dishes look amazing too.

The decor is cool, and the chairs are so comfty too, im sure at night it has that nice romantic atmosphere.

although I have only been there once – but i already know this place will be my quick fix for my western cravings.

Prices are slightly high – but worth it in my eyes.

For burgers, hands down best burger in Chengdu is at the Lazy Pug, with The Spot being a close second. For Pizza, Mike’s Pizza Kitchen (also delivers).

Participant

There’s a hole-in-the-wall place across the street from the US Consulate that serves food cooked by ‘Pop’ on one of two burners. ‘Mom’ is the waitress. If you don’t speak Mandarin, then they just serve you what they think you’ll like. Haven’t been wrong yet. Very reasonably priced. No intestinal problems experienced by friends who’ve eaten there for the past 6 months, and they’re pretty much lunch regulars.

more details? location? name of the place? pics?

Participant

For now, I can tell you to go east on Linshiguan Rd from Remin South Rd 4th Sec, on the side of Linshiguan across from the Consulate (north side). Just kind of poke your way along the shops there. The restaurant portal is through a little alleyway under the construction canopy. The Consulate has a bunch of construction going on. It’s right across from it. Not open on Sundays. I’ll try to get the name and post it when I do.

Participant

I went to The Spot last night, the food was ace! Thanks for the recommendation.

Participant

If you need to eat somewhere near that Pizza Hut, there’s a big cafeteria-style place on the ground floor of the Carrefour building. Lots of choices, always fresh and clean. Probably my favorite Chinese restaurant (and I’ve been to a bunch).

I think the place is called “Yusty”, but there is no sign in english.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.