Getting 3G Internet Access

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGetting 3G Internet Access

Viewing 18 posts - 21 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Are there different levels of fees for 3G with China Unicom?

Mine seems to be slower than watching paint dry.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Are there different levels of fees for 3G with China Unicom?

Mine seems to be slower than watching paint dry.

There are definitely different payment plans (套餐) but I don’t think the speed differs. Mostly monthly bandwidth allowance.

Participant

Out of interest, how much do you pay?

Is it still pay as you go or do you have a contract?

Keymaster

I paid for 2 years of service when I got my iPhone on China Unicom last October, it was 6,000 yuan including the phone. I still have to pay 40 yuan per month though and extra if I go over 1gb of bandwidth per month which I sometimes do. It’s a pretty good deal to get an iPhone in this way though, it works out saving a lot of money as opposed to buying an unlocked iPhone 4 and paying for 3G service every month.

Right now there are rumors of the iPhone 4 dropping down to 2,300 yuan in the next few weeks. Probably just before or when iPhone 5 is announced/released.

Participant

I recently got a SIM only Pre Pay Deal (Monthly) on China Unicom:

Around 60 RMB

50 Mins Talk time (any network china wide)

240 SMS (any network china wide)

and 300 MB 3G Data (china wide)

+ other things like some video calls and MMS

If you go into a China Unicom store (the Orange ones) they usually have a sales card describing the different monthly package in incremental cost. It’s pretty easy to get even if you don’t understand chinese.

I think it’s 30 RMB initial cost for the SIM Card.

And of course you need Photo ID

Participant
    Quote:
    Wait a minute, if you have GSM (and not CDMA) you can get 3G mobile internet at China Mobile? Because I’m 100% sure I have a Belgian iPhone 4 GSM version.

I think where and how ‘GSM’ might be used by different people might be a little different.

Rest Assured. if you have a “Belgian iPhone 4 GSM version” you will not get 3G data speeds from China Mobile. You will need to use China Unicom.

Participant

Unicom’s Prices:

http://3g.10010.com/3gindex/3gfee/A_plan.html

Google does a pretty heroic job of translating.

Participant
    Quote:
    I think where and how ‘GSM’ might be used by different people might be a little different.

I know what you’re talking about but I have downloaded numerous IPSW’s for my iPhone and they were all GSM.

So what you’re saying is that China Mobile supports GSM phones but I still can’t get 3G with them? Only slower speeds such as EDGE/GPRS?

Participant
    Quote:

I know what you’re talking about but I have downloaded numerous IPSW’s for my iPhone and they were all GSM.

So what you’re saying is that China Mobile supports GSM phones but I still can’t get 3G with them? Only slower speeds such as EDGE/GPRS?

Participant

Different companies use different 3G technologies even if they are still 3G. For instance, in the states AT&T & T-Mobile are both GSM, so you can unlock your iPhone and use it on T-Mobile. However, the 3G standard that T-Mobile uses isn’t compatible with the iPhone so you still can’t get 3G, just EDGE. No idea what the companies in China use though.

Participant

Different companies use different 3G technologies even if they are still 3G. For instance, in the states AT&T & T-Mobile are both GSM, so you can unlock your iPhone and use it on T-Mobile. However, the 3G standard that T-Mobile uses isn’t compatible with the iPhone so you still can’t get 3G, just EDGE. No idea what the companies in China use though.

Participant

this will be a stupid question as i’ve never touched an iphone before but if one was to buy an iphone 4 in china, use it on china unicom here etc then head back to their country of origin and get a plan with a provider there – would one still be able to use it outside of china? is it at all easy to just change the sim, get the new plan or whatever?

Participant

this will be a stupid question as i’ve never touched an iphone before but if one was to buy an iphone 4 in china, use it on china unicom here etc then head back to their country of origin and get a plan with a provider there – would one still be able to use it outside of china? is it at all easy to just change the sim, get the new plan or whatever?

Sorry to wake up this old thread.

I bought myself a China mobile card and activated internet (i got a confirmation of that). Nevertheless, my HTC phone (“sensation”) cannot even connect to GPRS.

Does anyone have a clue why?

Thank yuo in advance!

Participant

Thomas, that should work fine.

make sure somewhere in your settings you have ‘network data enabled’ but if you phone has worked for data before that should already be on.

Maybe you need to disable 3G, switch on ‘use only 2G networks’ but I never confirmed that.

Generally it might just be funny connecting to the network (mine sometimes is if I change settings), try ‘switching it off, and switching it back on again’ 🙂

if you can, SIM swap with someone else, see if the fault stays with the SIM or the Phone.

Unrelated to your issue Thomas, but I sure as hell had some hokey 3G coverage and speed yesterday. Absolutely useless all day long.

okay, i was searching the internet since 2 hours and exactly after i wrote this post i got the answer:

I have to set an APN manually:

http://www.86callchina.com/china-mobile-gprs-set-up.htm

I tried and it really works!

But thank you for your fast answers…. (in difference to that my mobile network is fu**ing slow)

As i’ve only 1 week left in china and then not coming back till april, i think spending money for 3G is not neccessary 😉

Participant

hey Thomas, I (clearly) didn’t realize you still have to manually set APN’s sometimes.

Glad you got it sorted though.

Viewing 18 posts - 21 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.