Ghost Spam on the Forum

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGhost Spam on the Forum

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

By that I mean, one minute I was looking at forum topics and two appeared featuring commercial names (not going to repeat them here) with the words ‘factory closures’ and water quality in and around them. When I clicked on one, there was a long article that had these brand names interspersed with the text. Obviously, a scam to get one to open spam. Very tricky. Went back to the main forum topics and they were gone. Is this a problem others have experienced or am I just lucky?

Participant

yeah my anti-virus hates CL. Now everytime i wanna look i gotta go thru the rigmarole of “do you trust this website?”….

Keymaster
    Quote:
    By that I mean, one minute I was looking at forum topics and two appeared featuring commercial names (not going to repeat them here) with the words ‘factory closures’ and water quality in and around them. When I clicked on one, there was a long article that had these brand names interspersed with the text. Obviously, a scam to get one to open spam. Very tricky. Went back to the main forum topics and they were gone. Is this a problem others have experienced or am I just lucky?

Spam gets posted to the forum occasionally, it’s usually gone within seconds or minutes, sometimes hours.

Quote:
    yeah my anti-virus hates CL. Now everytime i wanna look i gotta go thru the rigmarole of “do you trust this website?”….

Your anti-virus program monitors which websites you visit? Or is that a browser notification? I’ve never seen that happen before on CL. If you can send me a screenshot or something of that, I would appreciate it.

Participant

Yeah, i think it’s the latter. Its that damned 360 thing. A friend installed it and said “in China you really need 360”. Has a ton of pop-ups and shit…

Participant

Really, I can’t say exactly what happened! The two posts were there one time when I looked, and when I went back they were gone. I don’t know how they disappeared or appeared for that matter. There wasn’t any kind of notification, it was just something I realized when I opened the forum post. The brand names were hightlighted and looked like a link imbedded in the post.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yeah, i think it’s the latter. Its that damned 360 thing. A friend installed it and said “in China you really need 360”. Has a ton of pop-ups and shit…

Yeah, that thing should theoretically explode anytime you get online in China without a VPN. I wouldn’t trust it. Google trusts Chengdu Living and does not report it as an untrusted site.

Quote:
    Really, I can’t say exactly what happened! The two posts were there one time when I looked, and when I went back they were gone.

This is normal – spam posts are created periodically and deleted automatically or occasionally by hand.

Participant

Good to know. Thanks.

I’m on spam like white on rice. (Which means I’m lurking on this forum like all the time.)

Ray: don’t use 360 browser. That is practically malware in itself. It continuously uses up cpu cycles and memory. Download and install Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. They have automatic popup blockers. You can also install an adblocker add-on/plugin to block a lot of ads that come up on webpages.

Your web browsing experience will be much much better. Though you can’t really do online banking or taobao on those browsers (you’ll need to use IE), but I don’t think you do that technologically advanced stuff anyways 😀

I regularly delete this incoherent shit myself.

Bite me bike wheel Pinocchio hand made electric garment sport.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Bite me bike wheel Pinocchio hand made electric garment sport.

Every week or so I’ll go into the spam folder on my Gmail account just to see if anything has accidentally ended up there. Almost every time I’ll see some hilariously nonsensical spam that brightens my day. When you come across rare gems like that you can’t not think that someone, somewhere must be having fun writing completely ridiculous subject lines.

Participant

Ray- Chris is right. 360 is so bad you might need another antivirus program to get rid of it.

My method is to use the VPN all the time, the rest of the web is way cleaner than here.

Good luck.

I must be missing something. How does using a VPN help?

Participant

a lot of ads are geo-targetted. by using a vpn you get presumably less china ads

Keymaster
    Quote:
    a lot of ads are geo-targetted. by using a vpn you get presumably less china ads

Right, and you won’t get steered towards websites localized in Chinese either, which are usually either inferior or just a hassle. I’m rarely online without going through a VPN also these days, it just makes everything more convenient when you even have to think about whether your VPN is on or off or which websites you can visit and which ones you can’t.

Participant

@Ziich: i just picked up on that snide allusion to my tech-non-savviness. I’ll have you know that I even read Wired sometimes (although i have no idea what they’re on about) and I’m now using Windows 7. No more XP for this guy….and Microsoft can deactivate my hotmail account….OVER MY DEAD BODY

Participant

@ Brian: man, i just tried to remove 360 and it said “you do not have permission to perform this function”. WTF! This thing is evil. Feel like im in The Terminator. You know, they tried to deactivate Skynet but “it over-rode all our commands”…

Participant

I got the trial of malwarebytes onto an old dell recently, sans VPN. Even after deleting everything I could manually, it still found a bunch more files to delete. And the browser homepage still had to be changed manually…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.