Going to Bangkok – Tips?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGoing to Bangkok – Tips?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I guess it’s a little off topic, but I’m heading to Bangkok for the first time soon. Thought I would check if anyone here has been and has recommendations on sites to see (keep in mind I’m going with my wife & a 4 year old.)

Keymaster

– Go to Golden Mount, it’s a scenic temple atop a hill in the middle of Bangkok

– Chatuchak market is a must-see, but it’s weekends only. Biggest market in Bangkok as far as I know. Night markets are great also, there are a lot of them in the city. Bangkok is the best shopping city that I’ve ever seen – low prices and great stuff. There’s even a Wikipedia page just for markets in Bangkok.

Wat Pho (pronounced “watt poe”) is probably the most famous temple in Bangkok, famous for the golden reclining Buddha.

– Get a massage, either on the street or at Wat Pho. Foot massage and body massage are available all over the city

– Not sure if this is appropriate with a child, but riding tuk tuk’s (three wheeler taxi’s) is really fun. They’re colorful and it’s a novel experience. Just do this once though and then take taxis since taxis are cheaper. Some people say that tuk tuk’s are dangerous but friends who live in BKK tell me that isn’t really the case, but motorcycle taxi’s can be dangerous (also available but I don’t recommend those unless you’re outside of BKK).

– Muay Thai (Thai boxing) is the national sport and is fun to watch. It’s not seedy or anything, despite how it’s depicted in a lot of films. The most famous place to check this out is Lumpini stadium.

– Eat street food. It is awesome. Fancy restaurants in BKK are really hit or miss but the street food is some of the best in the world.

Have fun! Thailand is great.

Participant

SOI COWBOY! Well, if your wife is adventurous and wants to see some interesting shows 😉

Although it sounds a little crazy, I really suggest checking out Cabbages and Condoms. Not only does all their profit go towards a good cause, but it’s unique and they have excellent food – I still remember the green curry taste…. http://www.pda.or.th/restaurant/about.asp

Echoing what Charlie said about street food – some of the street/small roadside restaurant food is *fantastic*, pad thai that makes you forget Chengdu shao kao exists 😀 if you see chicken hearts on a stick *definitely* try them.

There’s also a cool snake show (NOT the ones at soi cowboy :D), I forget what it’s called, but it’s like a zoo for snakes with a bunch of different breeds and shows with them.

Participant

Thanks for the tips guys!

Participant

Ah, found the snake farm thing, some review information in there too – it was cool: Bangkok Snake Farm

OH DAMN! Look at the photos on that site, then go to the 2nd to last one…. That snake must be shitting itself with that scary looking dude holding it!

I could not agree more to eating street food. They are one of the few things that tourists really love about Thailand, on top of the great shopping options of course.

They have a variety of street food that would seem not palatable for some but they could actually be coined as delicacies already considering the long standing tradition toward it.

Thailand is a place where you let loose so have fun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.