"Green Belt" Cycling Routes in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion"Green Belt" Cycling Routes in Chengdu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there, I have read some stuff about biking routes around Chengdu, the ‘green belt’ and perhaps there are other nice bike routes. Does any of you know if there are maps for these routes, and where to get them (either paper or online)? Or at least, can anyone tell me a good location to start a route? We are at Waterfront. Would like to start exploring the surroundings of town a bit, preferably in some greenish area…

Participant

From the Waterfront you can ride east or south to get to some less developed areas.

To the east, just west of the 4th ring, there is Shiling Forest Park. It has dirt roads and looks like it is used for commercial forestry, but it is quiet and green. The area just south of there, Honghe, is somewhat rural.

I haven’t been to the areas south east of the city, but the guys at Natooke ride out there often and could make some suggestions.

Participant

Has anybody been on the green belt paths?

Keymaster

There’s one to the West of Chengdu in Wenjiang that I’ve been told is really nice. I haven’t been there nor do I have an address, though. I will see if I can find that.

Participant

I just came across this place called the GaoWei Bicycle Park (高威自行车公园). It’s in the south of Chengdu, just outside of 3rd Ring Road. It has blacktop surfaces through farmers fields, it could be fun to ride around. Has anyone been out there?

MAP

Youku Video

This looks pretty awesome. We should try this out sometime. But how do road tires do on dirt?

Participant
    Quote:
    how do road tires do on dirt?

Eh, you’ll be fine. I think we road past this last weekend on our way out to San sheng xian.

Participant

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk3NzY0NjQ4.html is another video. Looks promising! I might try this out over the weekend, see if we can find it.

Participant

Looking at google maps pictures cycling paths seem to stretch from around the 3rd ring road, around a kind of racing circuit, all the way to the toll road and beyond, where there seems to be a windmill (as a Dutch I feel reassured…;-). But perhaps they are not the same routes, one is blacktop and one is orange. The orange is called 198 Lohas greenway.

I found this map on internet: http://www.bikemap.net/route/1586327#lat=30.559968878869&lng=104.088965&zoom=12&maptype=ts_terrain

Hurray!!

Participant

I’ve been out through that 高威自行车公园 a few times. I think it is your best bet for close to the city, especially since you are on that side. It kind of runs in with that “Lohas” greenway thing, they are on opposite sides of 锦江大道. Also to the northeastish it runs in with San Sheng Xiang which is OK to pedal around as well so there is a pretty big area. Have fun!

Participant

So, we’ve done the route I found on internet (mentioned above) today, or at least the northern half of it. It was nice enough, but next time I would rather spend all my day in the area around San Sheng Xiang, Lohas, etc. and try to avoid the western side of the route. There is a lot of building going on (flyovers, Global Center, etc.). The stretch along the river was nice again, and apparently also part of a ‘green belt’ Jinjiang route. I hope that all these routes will be connected one day, that would be great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.