Gyms Near the US Consulate? Nijiaqiao?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGyms Near the US Consulate? Nijiaqiao?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hey guys, Ive seen all the posts about “good gyms in Chengdu.” But all of em require me to take taxis and/or subways. Anyone know of any gyms walkable from the US consulate? Off the Nijiaqiao subway stop?

Thanks so much!

Participant

ChuanDa has one, but it is EXTREMELY basic, and gym etiquette (never a strong point in China) is particularly low….

Participant

Hello,

Newbie here. Any gyms that charge by per entry basis in Chengdu? Preferably near metro stations.. if possible. I’m guessing most gyms require membership… ;(

Thanks,

Karen

Participant

hi jonny, there is one in the wanfujing shopping mall, think its on the 4th or 5th floor, same one as the cinema. quite new. you should be able to bargain the membership down to about 1700 per year. Cheers!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    But all of em require me to take taxis and/or subways. Anyone know of any gyms walkable from the US consulate? Off the Nijiaqiao subway stop?

I don’t think there is a good one in the area. I cannot understand why not either, because I’m sure the demand for one in this district must be significant! The closest one that I know of (not very close at all) is near the Tongzilin Carrefour.

You could always take the Metro to Chunxi Lu, then it’s just a two minute walk to Top City building just across the sreet from Isetan and Hiyatt (I think that’s how they spell the fake Chinese version) Hotel (North). Head on up to the 5th floor for MegaFit.

Participant

There is one in the building where I occasionally go for tango milonga, I remember passing a dark staircase with unpleasant smell from the 1st floor hotpot kitchen and 2nd floor internet cafe, on the 3rd floor there is a mega body-building poster and i remember have seen people with fitness suits. I can’t say if it’s good or bad since i would never understand the idea of battle with a machine so i’m not experienced enough to tell from the look of its staircase, but such place near Nijiaqiao does exist, it’s inside No. 10 (huachuan binguan) renminnanlu 4th section, the building on your right, good luck

Quote:
    battle with a machine

Challenge accepted.

Participant

@Brendan

What are the facilities like at Megafit? Do they have classes?

Quote:
    What are the facilities like at Megafit? Do they have classes?

It’s a great gym for a downtown location, with more weight than I’ve seen anywhere else, which is why I choose to work out there personally. They do have many classes, many of which have gotten very popular in the evenings. I see some classes with 30+ people taking part.

Participant

Do they offer Tai Bo???

Participant

http://i.imgur.com/d4xSqiS.jpg

Chengdu workout gear. Vincent, you get some more ink?

Participant

That cant be in CD… Also, i should get me that mask, it’s 2nd generation elevation mask, i have the first one.

Participant

Looks badass….gotta be phenomenal for the respiratory/cardio vascular?

Participant

The science behind it is iffy. Though for me, it does have an affect.

Participant

It totally could be a Chengdu gym. I offer evidence: Exhibit A: plate has not been returned.

B: guy (obscured) in the background is using cellphone. Could be Megafit…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    http://i.imgur.com/d4xSqiS.jpg

Chengdu workout gear. Vincent, you get some more ink?

Where’d you get that image from? It doesn’t look like Megafit or Vincent to me. Looks like a tattooed Bane, though.

Participant

Pic came from Reddit. No, doesnt really look like Vincent. Initially i thought guy was wearing a respro but Jerry S set me straight. You wanna be VERY careful taking sneaky pics in a gym, especially when a guy looks like that….highly unlikely its a Chengdu gym….

Participant

Meh, i wore the 1st generation elevation mask while running on the treadmill at my local gym. I got looks from different people. One’s got to do what’s needed for cardio!

Quote:
    The science behind it is iffy

Actually the science behind respiratory muscle training via restriction (mask/other) during exercise is solid, and has consistently been shown to increase VO2 max, peak flow and force of air, oxygen uptake and saturation, recovery, and a whole host of breathing dynamics that ultimately improve athletic performance and function. This is especially true of sports that push the bodys demand for oxygen under conditions of fatigue. Altitude training has been employed by endurance athletes for decades for exactly the same reason.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.