Help! Drummer Coming to Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduHelp! Drummer Coming to Chengdu

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,

I’ll be moving to Chengdu from Manchester UK at the end of September. I’ll be learning basic Mandarin at Sichuan Uni, teaching some English and moving in with my girlfriend.

One thing that’s really important to my sanity is being able to drum, can’t bring my kit with me so if anyone can tell me about:

1.) Practice rooms (for band rehearsals or a kit to play by myself)

2.) Jam nights (any style considered, although I find blues a bit tedious)

3.) Chinese  drumming groups? I’ve been playing in a samba band for the last few years so non-kit drumming is also a possibility.

4.) Where to look  for drummer wanted ads. Either for my own  pleasure and no money or paid gigs.

5.) Having read the dance white monkey article on the site, are there any musicians can vouch for the article? From playing samba I”m used to being treated fairly crappily by uncaring audiences/booking agents for easy money. Man’s got to eat.

6.) A good place to buy a cheap guitar and small amp. I’m going to teach the mrs how to play so we can have our own 2 piece Anglo-Mandarin punk band.

Cheers

Dan

Participant

1) Definitely practice spaces available and for cheap.  Not sure on specifics however.

2) Jah Bar does a jam night.  Other places?  There’s a place called Gu Bar (Drum Bar) that has a variety of drums available.  Don’t know how regularly they play though.

4) Find other musicians.  They’re around and lurk at places like Jah Bar, Machu Picchu and Lantown. They’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

5) People here make a living playing in groups and doing gigs, both white monkey and not.

6) Near the Sichuan music uni there’s a number of shops that sell all sorts of musical equipment.  That would be the spot to check.

Participant

Cheers for that.

Gu bar sounds ideal. I will add that to my tiny mandarin vocabulary list.

Participant

There’s a weekly jam at here we go on Sundays and hemp house on Wednesdays. I’d say go there and meet some people. They’ll be able to answer any questions.

Participant

Rainbow Chinese Language Institute
    http://irainbowconcept.com check here, the best Chinese language school in Chengdu.
    We have our special curriculum “SURVIVAL CHINESE” compiled by ourselves. which accord to the reality of expact living in Chengdu, include 32 useful topics, 500 words, Chinese character is unnecessary, after 3 months study, you can achieve HSK 2 (a Mandarin level exam).
    Just 3 months!

Check our web for more detail http://irainbowconcept.com

Keymaster

1) Definitely practice spaces available and for cheap. Not sure on specifics however. 2) Jah Bar does a jam night. Other places? There’s a place called Gu Bar (Drum Bar) that has a variety of drums available. Don’t know how regularly they play though. 4) Find other musicians. They’re around and lurk at places like Jah Bar, Machu Picchu and Lantown. They’ll be able to point you in the right direction. 5) People here make a living playing in groups and doing gigs, both white monkey and not. 6) Near the Sichuan music uni there’s a number of shops that sell all sorts of musical equipment. That would be the spot to check.

Good advice. There are two other places to check out for jams, the Hemp House has a weekly jam session and so does Here We Go on Sundays (although that might be on hold since they’ve switched venues – not sure). Hemp House has a drum kit but Here We Go normally does not.

Participant

Ace. Hemp house sounds perfect. I love the jam scene in Manchester so I was hoping to find something similar in Chengdu.

I play saxophone and bass as well if Here We Go has those about.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.