Help Installing Windows 7

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHelp Installing Windows 7

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

Its the time of the year again when your Windows starts acting weird and you have no idea why and the only easy solution is reinstalling your Windows, because trying to solve the issue with the guidance of a thousand other people with same problems but who have no exact idea whats wrong has resulted in non-existent nails and hair.

Can anyone help me reinstall WIndows 7 x64 in English or knows a place I can have this done (with other perks such as Office, anti-virus,etc)?

Thanks again, everyone!

AND Im getting a mac next.

Keymaster

Installing Windows 7 is actually very easy, you just have to boot from the install disc, select an install location, and hit enter a few times. If you don’t have the install disc you can buy it at Computer City pretty easily although most of the versions there are Chinese (make sure you get English). If you haven’t figured this out by next weekend I can help you out.

Switching to Mac is definitely the right move in the long run, though. You pay slightly more but the time and hassle that you save is incredible.

Participant

I love repair PC! so if you want I can help you but like Charlie said, if you have the operating system cd (I have) it’s really easy to do… step by step

Participant

Thanks guys 🙂

Since you have the install CD Federico, it makes things so much easier. I’ll PM you.

Windows… Nooooooo!!!!!

Participant

Ahahahahah eternal struggle between two Colossus…

At least Windows users can buy stuff on taobao. CHINA IS A WINDOWS WORLD!

Participant

I’m a Winuser but I don’t about MacOs world… I thnk different people different preferences…

Quote:
    At least Windows users can buy stuff on taobao

I BUY STUFF ON TAOBAO ON MY MAC!! (once I’ve topped up my Alipay on a Windows PC! :/)

Participant

Anyone tried online Chinese banking/Alipay/Taobao etc via a Linux system (or Droid phone/tablet) yet? My thoughts are that it should just work via the browser.

I use at least 4 operating systems on a daily basis, including OS X and Windows. All have their advantages and disadvantages. It’s a case of the right tool for the job…

However, with the exception of the Microsoft office suite, applications on OS X are more pleasurable to use than their windows equivalent. Windows applications/drivers also tend to be bloated with additional unwanted, and often poorly written, software which always seem to want to run a service in the background.

You can use Internet Explorer via WINE on both OS X and Linux.

I don’t even know how to top up my Alipay. They always ask for my Chinese ID number.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    You can use Internet Explorer via WINE on both OS X and Linux.

This is exactly what I need to setup! Currently the only thing that I can’t do with my Mac is do online bank transfers because IE is required. Thanks for posting this.

Participant

Since nobody else replied, I tried it myself…the BOC site is pretty clear that you need Windows and Explorer. CCB says that Windows is needed but will support Firefox and Chrome (I always use Firefox). Checking a bank balance is one thing, but actually transferring money and paying bills requires a hardware key that I don’t expect to work with a different OS. It may be a case of “yeah it works but we don’t support it”, but I’m not inclined to experiment on something like banking.

The Linux system I just set up on an ancient laptop the recyclers wouldn’t even take died as soon as I tried to log into Taobao (via Firefox). Suspect a hardware rather than software problem at the moment, may need a new hard drive.

And to keep somewhat on topic, my Windows 7*64 system has been running with no issues for over 3 years…it’s been way more stable than any other Windows OS I’ve used. I can work lightning fast on Windows too since by now the shortcut keys are second nature. Just figured if I had to learn a new system at this point, would rather learn Linux.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Just figured if I had to learn a new system at this point, would rather learn Linux.

Linux is great to learn and has a lot of practical use for servers especially (file servers, web servers, etc). It’s been years since I used Ubuntu on my laptop as a day to day computer but you have to love tinkering with things because there’s a lot of customization required to do basic things. Very limited access to popular apps as well. OS X is the perfect medium for me since you have app compatibility and ease of use along with the customizability and access to the terminal.

What is there to customize in OSX?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    What is there to customize in OSX?

Almost anything you want. The appearance of the operating system, its functionality, etc. Unlike Windows you don’t have to make a lot of customizations because everything is already very solid on a clean install, but the option is there. Here’s a list of customizations you can make.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.