Hiking Club

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHiking Club

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anyone know of a good hiking club in Chengdu?

Thanks

Also, while I’m here, I’ve heard of something called “The Gourmet Club.” It’s a club that meets once a week to try a new restaurant. Anyone know about a club like that. Or, if not, anyone interested in forming one?

Keymaster

Hey Ryan – there’s a group in Yulin who checks out new restaurants from time although it’s not really structured at all. They’re called the Yulin Gastronomic Society. If you live in the area (South Chengdu) I wouldn’t mind checking out a new restaurant once a week and I’m sure it’d be easy to round some people up for that.

As for hiking clubs I haven’t heard of any but I suspect a Chinese club like that exists. If you can read some Chinese I’d check Douban, there are all kinds of local clubs on there.

Hey Charlie,

I would definitely like to start a food club that meets once a week. Would you be willing to add a “clubs” section on this site. I would be happy to write something up after each night out, something describing the food, the drink and the social atmosphere. Pictures would be good too. …like the Pandahash reports (sort of). http://www.pandahash.com/calendar.html

I have a couple problems, though. One, I’m new to Chengdu and don’t know the city, or its restaurants, all that well. Two, I don’t speak Chinese, so I cannot order food or give transportation advice–two of the most important things for a food eating club to provide.

Can you help arrange those things? Perhaps we can pick a place to eat now, and then get a few people together, say on Tuesday of next week. …start simple and then see if we want to do more with it.

What do you think?

Keymaster

Sounds good! Tuesday works fine for me and I’m definitely open to consider adding a clubs section if there’s enough interest or utility for that.

I speak Chinese and know my way around so that won’t be a problem. I’ll get a small group together to join, too. It’ll be good to have a newcomer actually, I’m sure you’ll observe and note lots of things that people who’ve been here for a long time take for granted.

Send your contact info to charlie at chengduliving.com and we’ll get in touch and plan the first one.

Hey, I’m new to Chengdu and would love to check out some great restaurants. Are you all still meeting up?

Keymaster

Hi Trevor-

We actually never did meet up and get that meal together. I meet up with some expants semi-regularly and visit local restaurants though and you’re welcome to join. I’ll send you a PM with my number.

Keymaster

One more thing, our series called Underground Gourmet is worth checking out if you’re new to Chengdu and interested in finding info on local restaurants and food: https://www.chengduliving.com/series

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.