Hosting Company

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHosting Company

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

Can someone suggest a professional hosting company in Chengdu, with reliable servers and internet provider line?

like these

http://www.59.cn/

http://www.linktom.com/

Thanks

Keymaster

Hey Federico,

I strongly suggest that you not host a website in China for a few reasons:

• Internet speeds in Chengdu are pathetically slow by international standards, which will make whatever you’re hosting really slow. In the US and Europe, for example, consumer internet goes as high as 1 gigabit per second, which is 50 times faster than the 20 megabit per second connections that a handful of people in Chengdu have (and the rest of us covet)
    • When you host something in China, you are subject to China laws. If you host a website in China, for example, you’ll need the site to be backed by a registered company, and you’ll certainly be surveilled, if you aren’t already. If you have a registered company in China already (like a guesthouse, for example), it will be possible for you, but I’d still recommend not hosting anything in China.

Basically it’s faster, cheaper, and easier if you host overseas.

Participant

Really thank you Charlie,

problem is that a VPN company asked to me information for open a server in Chengdu…

Reasons not to host in China:

– It’s expensive

Peering sucks

You need an ICP licence

Keymaster

Really thank you Charlie, problem is that a VPN company asked to me information for open a server in Chengdu…

If you want to route super slow internet traffic through Chengdu, behind the GFW, I would just setup a server using cheap hardware like a Raspberry Pi on the fastest home internet connection you can find. I don’t know anything about dealing with actual Chengdu “hosts”. I opened the websites that you linked to above and wanted to close them immediately.

Participant

Ok, so is better don’t do this in Chengdu, it’s crazy that this city (maybe in all the China) haven’t infrastructure for offer a real professional hosting service, but we discussed about thismany times…

Thanks!

Participant

I’m courious Ben, is expensive ICP license?

Interesting:
    “The difference is that China can hardly be ignored in the future. (Sprint always had a ton of competition that pressured better interconnectivity. Not quite true in China).
    This is what makes this such a big potential problem in the Internet. China represents perhaps the largest set of connections to the Internet, and already presents such a large number of the congestion problems for these attachments. I predict that China will receive a lot more interconnect attention over the next couple of years; a lot of attention and much of the earth’s fiber and routers will be required to uncongest the China Internet Peering Ecosystem.”

Participant

I’m guessing it’d very difficult to find someone who have much experience with Chinese hosting service providers. As others pointed out it’s a rare case that one would want to host something in China. For a VPN server it makes much sense but I can’t come up with any other cases where it’d be useful.

Participant

It’s right Hank, can to be useful for VPN, Games/Entertaiment company (Valve have server here)… but isn’t easy for now have a professional service with these infrastructures… I hope for the “coming soon” future…

Participant

Did the forum have some issues ?  I could not get in the last few days

Same here. I think there was a server migration.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.