How did you learn Mandarin? Any tips?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow did you learn Mandarin? Any tips?

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

towelie you make me laugh with the comment about chinesepod :p that’s true, Chinesepod is a very good resource, even if I have the records I gladly would like pay for that because they are really good.

About learning chinese, yeah everybody said very accuracy information, and I consider in chinese the most important part are the tones. Zh, z and j could be pronounced as the same way, and still be understandable, but if tones change, nothing to do. Maybe, a very correct pronunciation will be necessary on saying only one word, but once the word get a context it will have a clear meaning immediately.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    There’s a website called FluentU I just started using, it uses youtube clips to teach and has a variety of topics. Yuu do need a VPN though, but then I can’t understand why anyone woldn’t have one of those.

That site is great. I started a similar website a few years ago but FluentU blows it out of the water. It has some really helpful features like the video pausing automatically when you mouseover the subtitles.

Participant

Hi, in my opinion it is not really difficult, but it does take a lot of energy and time. So, be committed. Once you are here, if possible, take a daily private class (if only 1 hour) at least for the first few months, to keep the rythm. In class, focus on those topics that are of interest to you. In your daily life, note down things you would have wanted to say but couldn’t and ask about it in class. Put the words from your class and any other words you run into in a system to memorize them (I use Trainchinese flashcards but there are loads of similar systems), in this way you are forced to learn and relearn the vocabulary that is useful for you. Use the lessons to learn about grammar rules, idiomatic expressions and to gain fluency. Most importantly, do not be afraid to speak, even if you only speak very little. In my experience, people here are very patient and friendly and do their best to find out what you’re trying to say.

Online in preparation, you could start with Rosetta Stone, I am doing it now and find it really useful. But that, too, requires a daily commitment. Good luck and have fun in Chengdu!

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.