How's 4G LTE around town?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow's 4G LTE around town?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Heading home next month and deciding whether to upgrade my Nexus 4 while I’m there. Right now I’m on China Mobile out in the sticks (near Longquanyi) and speeds are terrible, but how’s 4G LTE in town? How much are you paying per month and what do you get for it – speeds, data caps, texting, etc.? My N4 won’t do LTE without some tweaking and the better US flagship phones probably won’t be released until the end of the year, so I’m wondering whether I should hold out.

Keymaster

I don’t have 4G but some of my colleagues do and they say it’s not worth it. It’s faster, but the cost is dramatically higher.

Participant

Thanks…is China Mobile the go-to provider? I need to upgrade my plan when I get back.

Keymaster

Thanks…is China Mobile the go-to provider? I need to upgrade my plan when I get back.

China Mobile is the biggest in terms of subscribers but China Unicom is also popular and common. Those are your two choices, pretty much. I’m not sure if they both offer 4G service or not, though.

Participant

I don’t have, but I’ve heard from my friends that it’s not good.

Heading home next month and deciding whether to upgrade my Nexus 4 while I’m there. Right now I’m on China Mobile out in the sticks (near Longquanyi) and speeds are terrible, but how’s 4G LTE in town? How much are you paying per month and what do you get for it – speeds, data caps, texting, etc.? My N4 won’t do LTE without some tweaking and the better US flagship phones probably won’t be released until the end of the year, so I’m wondering whether I should hold out.

Keep in mind that just because a phone has LTE capability, doesn’t mean it’s compatible with LTE bands in all countries. For example if you bought phone from the US that works on AT&T’s LTE bands (4 and 17?), it probably won’t work on China Mobile’s LTE bands (38, 39, 40, 41?). So if you’re choosing a phone specifically to use LTE, do your research.

But yeah, China Mobile’s 4G isn’t worth it. I believe that China Unicom is rolling out with 4G soon, but I expect it to be the same story. Fast internet in China is a pipe dream.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.