I Got Some Stuff in the Mail

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionI Got Some Stuff in the Mail

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anybody want to get out and play?

xP5gQ.jpg

-Brian

Participant

Do you intend to go do some serious skiing in China? If so – where?

Don’t tell me you’re gonna cycle to a mountain, start climbing it, stay overnight, continue climbing the next day and then ski it…

Keymaster

Wow. Yes. Are you planning on going anywhere aside from Xilin Xueshan this season? I’m sure there is good skiing elsewhere in China but I’m not really sure where.

A friend in Beijing went skiing this last weekend outside of Beijing and sent me photos, it looked legit. Pretty chilly though, -30 celsius.

Participant

I think I’ll need to spend some time at altitude before I try to ski a summit. But that’s what I’d like to do.

The first step should probably be to hike up Dagunianshan (lowest of the 4 sisters/ladies).

Other than that I’m willing to ski anything snow patch I can find. Anybody else here have an avalanche beacon?

There’s some granite in that neighborhood too, so I’m looking for a trad partner.

As far as in-bound skiing, I don’t really know. I heard a rumor a couple years ago that they are building a big ski area in the Tianshan, but I have no other info. That’s supposed to be the best snow in China.

There are a bunch are Beijing, but I think they make a lot of snow because it’s so dry there.

Xiling snow mountain is on my to-do list of course. Anybody got a snow report?

-Brian

I’ll be coming back to CD in 3 days and skiing is definitely at the top of my to-do-list. I live in New Zealand so I was lucky enough to have hit the slopes this July as well.

Most of my family are just beginners so it be great to go to Xiling with more experienced riders. Oh yeah, I’m a snowboarder but maybe you guys can teach me a few tricks on skis. Let me know if you are interested.

P.S. This is my first post 🙂

-Nancy

Participant

well….

…it’d be really interesting to see if there are any worthwhile mountains to ascend and ski down and how far away they are. I don’t know how much free time i have to go out for days to adventure, though.

I also know there are regulations to climbing mountains in China… this is a good article that i read a while ago and have a hard time remembering now, but I think it has to do with these regulations and chinese climbing in general.

what i’m getting at is I can lead trad and i’m down. although i can only assume your hands will turn into ice blocks during this season.

Participant

PT-

I’ve gotten one recommendation for back country skiing, but it’s mountaineering terrain (near “the camel”). My thinking is to ski whatever looks good near a road. Along S303, between Wolong and Rilongzhen, there’s a pass at 4600m with plenty of tree-less terrain around. And I have seen other big grassy mountains around there, but getting there is the hard part.

For climbing, there are crags at lower altitudes, somewhere. Just have to gather the info.

Nancy-

Welcome to CL,

I suppose transportation is the hard part for getting to Xiling too. I have no idea how many locals bring their own skis to the mountian, but I don’t think I’ve seen many ski racks on old Jettas running around town. Several people on the list have talked about renting a van and going to Xiling. Who has a driver’s license here?

Participant

I went to Xilin 2 weeks ago. There was not enough snow for skiing but plenty to have snow fights..

Participant

Craptastic

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I suppose transportation is the hard part for getting to Xiling too. I have no idea how many locals bring their own skis to the mountian, but I don’t think I’ve seen many ski racks on old Jettas running around town. Several people on the list have talked about renting a van and going to Xiling. Who has a driver’s license here?

We can hire a driver for cheap which is easy. I don’t know many foreigners who have licenses but a lot of Chinese people do. We’d need to rent a van though also, so that way would be a little more hassle.

Participant

Check out Beida Ski, is the largest ski resort: http://www.beidahuski.com

It’s got 13 runs, a 10 km cross-country run, and much more.

beidahu.jpg

Xiling snow mountain by comparison, has a junior and intermediate run.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.