Import Permits for Household Goods?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionImport Permits for Household Goods?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m planning on moving household items to China via a moving company. Has anyone gone through this process before? I’m specifically looking for where to find the Customs Office in Chengdu where you get the Import Permit.

Thanks!

Hi Victoria,

I just went through this in the summer. Nightmare!

It depends on what route your items are taking. I’m guessing they will port at either Beijing or Shanghai before continuing to Chengdu (??), and because of this you have to deal with customs at port of entry, not final destination. Personally my shipment came through Shanghai, and long story short I had a hard time getting it cleared in good time. The company moving your items should have appointed a broker (or at least suggested one to you) for making the value declaration at port of entry customs, which my shipper failed to do. The first broker I assigned dropped the ball mid-way, leaving me to find an alternate. I also had to find a customs broker in Chengdu (bar travelling to Shanghai) to sign the declaration forms with in person. A lot of what I shipped was audio equipment and electrical items, so I got hit with an 11,000 rmb duty even after some creative valuations, so be warned on that.

Be aware also that you officially have 90 days from date of entry to claim your cargo, after which it is ‘locked out’, and yes, this is basically another way to take some more money from you. It’s not too prohibitive though, I think my shipment was in Shanghai for approximately 120 days, and I had to pay somewhere under a 1000 for going over the 90.

PM me if you want any contacts.

Participant

Thanks Brendan. I’ve heard that there’s usually lots of problems, which is why I’m going to spend the extra and get a proper moving company to do it (Allied Pickfords). They’ve got an office in Sichuan apparently, and have said they’ll arrange all the port customs clearances and get it all the way into Chengdu. Fingers crossed.

So did you have to get an import permit the way you did it? I’ve been told that if you have a Z-visa/residency permit, then you can get a one-time import permit to bring in one shipment without duty being charged.

The last time I lived in China a few years ago, I managed to mail several big boxes of stuff, all of which arrived safely and without any customs charges! Times have changed, I think.

Quote:
    So did you have to get an import permit the way you did it? I’ve been told that if you have a Z-visa/residency permit, then you can get a one-time import permit to bring in one shipment without duty being charged.

It would not surprise me for a moment if that was the ‘official’ line, and I never did see any paperwork from customs detailing any charges, I just paid what the agent charged me and was thankful to have gotten everything through. I did have to provide evidence of employment and present my valid visa as part of the process. No freebies though!!

You’ll have to keep us posted on the outcome. Pickfords are a reliable bonded company that should make everything smooth sailing for you.

Participant

My wife and I recently shipped 10 boxes of stuff, door to door, from the US. It took a long time (4 months), but the company (Sevenseas – they have offices in US, UK and here) got the right paper work for us and didn’t hit us with surprise fees. Just the price for the shipping, 130rmb inspection fee and 200rmb import taxes on a bike and DVD player. We had other taxable electronics and sporting goods, but customs was merciful. I don’t think we ever had to talk to anybody at customs directly.

Now the real question is: why the hell did we bring a DVD player?

Quote:
    Now the real question is: why the hell did we bring a DVD player?

What model is it? I shipped all my DVD’s from Canada and can’t play any of them!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.