In Need of an Online Angel

HomeForumsIn ChengduIn Need of an Online Angel

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Will someone in the Chengdu community be willing to wire me $200.00 before 10:00 tonight.I am in need of the funds for an unexpected emergency.This is not a scam,I am employed,any information you may request from me can be verified.I just need a helping hand at this time,thank you.

Participant

What is it about this forum that invites so many of these kinds of posts? No offense to the OP if you’re a bonafide Chengdu-er.

Keymaster

What is it about this forum that invites so many of these kinds of posts? No offense to the OP if you’re a bonafide Chengdu-er.

I cannot figure this out either. To my knowledge no one has been successful making these kind of “Hi strangers, please loan me money” pitches.

Participant

Wa. Especially since it’s all by people who have never posted, create an account specifically to ask for some amount of pety change. I’d be curious Charlie if you can see the IP address as being from the same place, really from Chengdu, or some other pattern? Seems to happen enough to be annoying 😀
    To the requestor, why would you ask for someone to WIRE you $200 foreign currency in a Chengdu community forum?

Maybe I’m wrong,but everyone I know,puts spaces after punctuation.Maybe I’m wrong?I don’t know.Except,many mainlanders,they often don’t use punctuation spacing properly.

Keymaster

I’d be curious Charlie if you can see the IP address as being from the same place, really from Chengdu, or some other pattern? Seems to happen enough to be annoying :D

I can see the IP address, and this post originated from Alabama, United States.

Participant

Alabama? Maybe it’s Forest Gump?!?

Stupid is as stupid does.

or more likely they are using a VPN.

Keymaster

Alabama? Maybe it’s Forest Gump?!? Stupid is as stupid does. or more likely they are using a VPN.

It’s certainly possible but Alabama strikes me as an unlikely place for a VPN service. Likely place for alligators and bayous.

Participant

Agreed – really strange, Alabama.. any relation to those other begger posts?

Keymaster

Agreed – really strange, Alabama.. any relation to those other begger posts?

No, not that I can tell

Participant

Alabama would seem strange but I use Strong VPN and they list these cities in the UK as having servers:

Manchester
    Rugby
    Livingston
    Canterbury
    Maidenhead
    Nottingham
    London

Rugby and Maidenhead? Fairly obscure towns in Britain. No offence to anybody from there.

I honestly think the more tell-tale sign is the punctuation issue. As Rick pointed out it’s not uncommon for Chinese (and other non-alphabet using Asian countries) to have this English language problem. Europeans and Africans don’t usually have this issue.

Have the other posts had this issue? That may indicate if we are dealing with the same person or different people.

Obviously I could be wrong. There’s nothing to rule out a down on his luck overseas student studying in Alabama. Plus $200 does seem like a small amount to ask for when you consider the overhead of a VPN.

Participant

This seems like a reasonable blue-collar variety scam.  If you generated a list of thousands of active forums then set a goal of targeting four or five in a few hours with a hit rate of maybe, say 1 in 20, it would take maybe a day sitting at a computer to bring in $200.

We honestly know the success rate of such a scam, because honestly most people responding are the same folks that are wise to it and chime in with generally the same flavor of sarcastic “we’ll give you money to medicine for your sick wife Tiki” story.

I’d be curious of the lurking body of this and other similar forums, how many people silently empathize and peow! off money through cyberspace.  How many of these gullible beacons of humanity could exist?  If there’s more than not I’d consider a change in profession.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.