Intensive Language Training Center?

HomeForumsIn ChengduIntensive Language Training Center?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Has anyone heard of this outfit at Sichuan University? I am not in Sichuan yet but may just take this job… any info greatly appreciated. Ta.

Participant

Used to work there. No awful experiences but you will be shocked at the poor level of some students. The brutal truth was that 70% of my students had no realistic chance of attaining their required IELTS score of 5.5, but we were absolutely forbidden from ever mentioning this (“encourage the students” we were told). The centre was big on weekly meetings too, but many of the decisions made were subsequently ignored. Some other issues but i’d rather not go into it here. PM me if you wanna know more….

Participant

Used to work there. No awful experiences but you will be shocked at the poor level of some students. The brutal truth was that 70% of my students had no realistic chance of attaining their required IELTS score of 5.5, but we were absolutely forbidden from ever mentioning this (“encourage the students” we were told). The centre was big on weekly meetings too, but many of the decisions made were subsequently ignored. Some other issues but i’d rather not go into it here. PM me if you wanna know more….

Quote:
    but we were absolutely forbidden from ever mentioning this (“encourage the students” we were told)

give them hope, collect tuition. one of my teaching jobs is also like this

Quote:
    but we were absolutely forbidden from ever mentioning this (“encourage the students” we were told)

give them hope, collect tuition. one of my teaching jobs is also like this

So how about other stuff? Location of the school, atmosphere of the FTs etc,workload? These are the things I want to know. Cheers

So how about other stuff? Location of the school, atmosphere of the FTs etc,workload? These are the things I want to know. Cheers

Participant

The location is great, cos it’s in ChuanDa which is very convenient since most foreigners live in the south. Some of the students were very cool, but i felt sorry for them. Many have been taken out of their regular schools and study exclusively at the centre. It seemed their parents had forced them to study abroad and there was not much enthusiasm. Not a bad gig if you have the right attitude…

Just curious: have they recruited you from overseas, or are you currently in China? That makes a BIG difference to your salary, working hours etc..

Participant

The location is great, cos it’s in ChuanDa which is very convenient since most foreigners live in the south. Some of the students were very cool, but i felt sorry for them. Many have been taken out of their regular schools and study exclusively at the centre. It seemed their parents had forced them to study abroad and there was not much enthusiasm. Not a bad gig if you have the right attitude…

Just curious: have they recruited you from overseas, or are you currently in China? That makes a BIG difference to your salary, working hours etc..

I am in Zhejiang PRovince. What do you mean it makes a big difference in the salary? I am looking for a nice location,with fun stuff to do and travelling.

I am in Zhejiang PRovince. What do you mean it makes a big difference in the salary? I am looking for a nice location,with fun stuff to do and travelling.

Participant

I’ll PM you later. Got class now…

Participant

I’ll PM you later. Got class now…

Ok man thanks!

Ok man thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.