International Exchange – Cost of Living

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInternational Exchange – Cost of Living

• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoTy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey,

I’m looking to do an international exchange at SWUFE between February and June of 2014. I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of the cost of living in Chengdu? My rent is approximately 500 – 800 RMB/month.

Thanks!

Participant

Also, I know SWUFE is kind of far from the downtown district, is this a big issue when it comes to travelling and nightlife?

Participant

it isnt far, and while transport is worse then it was, you can still go pretty much anywhere easily.  The only real problem is no subway nearby, closest one is 4 bus stops away.

Keymaster

Also, I know SWUFE is kind of far from the downtown district, is this a big issue when it comes to travelling and nightlife?

It’s a little bit on the far side. I recommend a bicycle! Great way to get around Chengdu, the traffic in this city can get intense and subway isn’t convenient for everyone due to the limited number of stations.

Keymaster

Also, with regard to your question about cost of living in Chengdu: it completely depends on your lifestyle, but I would estimate at least 6,000 rmb a month for living costs, including rent. It’s possible to live on much less (as little as 3,000 I’d say) but it’s also increasingly easy to spend more. At a lot of restaurants in the city, for example, a meal with a drink can run you 100 yuan or more pretty easily. Whether you want to live cheaply or spend a lot of money, you can now do both in Chengdu, basically.

Participant

I’d agree, 6k/mo is probably average including rent/bills for a single foreigner in CD.. although I think a large part of a swing factor on the avg is how much you drink and how often you buy gadgets 😀

Participant

I think 6,000 RMB sounds a little extreme hahaha. That translates into roughly $1,100 CAD and I barely go through $800, including rent. I’m more interested in the relative cost of living. For example, the average night out over here is roughly $30 for a university bar; what’s it like over in Chengdu?

Participant

There are cheap bars and not so cheap bars… typically on a rager night in Chengdu, I end up down ~100usd, if you just like to chill out and drink cheap beer, you can do that too..there’s no real “average night out” – cheap beer are like $3 and clubs or other places typically around $8, something like that.

Participant

@rick “typically on a rager night in Chengdu”

Love it haha

Keymaster

There are cheap bars and not so cheap bars… typically on a rager night in Chengdu, I end up down ~100usd

Wow, that’s a lot for Chengdu. You must be buying bottles at KTV’s, right? That is like a night out in Hong Kong expensive.

In Chengdu I only get mixed drinks at places like the Lazy Pug. Otherwise it’s Beer Lao for about $3. And that’s twice as much as Qingdao, which in bars is twice as much as Qingdao in 7-11 or other convenience stores.

Participant

Not really Charlie – but between taxis and drinks, I drink a lot, it adds up quick – I don’t go to Chinese clubs or KTVs (haven’t for ages at least), but if I’m drinkin for a few hours I’ll rip thru drinks at what..30rmb/ea? Throw in transportation and sometimes a late night snack, 600 is around avg.

Participant

Make sure you know what campus SWUFE is going to put you at. I did an exchange there and all of my classes and my dorm were at the wenjiang campus which is kinda far from downtown

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.