Introducing Chengdu Places

HomeForumsIn ChengduIntroducing Chengdu Places

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

If you haven’t heard, we just launched a new website called Chengdu Places which is a geolocation-based listing of all the best places in Chengdu. You can read about the site in announcement post here: Introducing Chengdu Places

The idea to develop this came from the forum and observing everyone sharing so much information on places in Chengdu. It seems that everyone is interested in locating or sharing information on places in Chengdu, so this is simply a complimentary platform for that. Over time, we’ll be going through posts on the forum and adding links to locations that are listed on Chengdu Places.

Additionally, there is a master list of Places that you can see here: Chengdu Places Master List.

If you notice something that’s not there but you think should be, submit information on the place and we’ll work on adding it. Chengdu Places is very much a community effort.

The forum alone has raised awareness of many new places to many new people, and Places is better equipped to do that. If you notice a problem or have a comment or suggestion on the site in general, feel free to get in touch and we’ll get back to you. Right now Places is launching with 52 locations but more will be added as we continue to discover, research, and publish them.

Here’s a link: Chengdu Places

Participant

Fantastic idea! We’ve been needing this badly!

Participant

awesome

needs iPhone app

(i’d buy it)

Beautiful! Well Done! Bravo! App is a great idea also. Hope to contribute to this soon.

Participant

I was so disappointed when I clicked the “hand drawn maps” link and it wasn’t mine

Participant

Also just an observation:TYPES OF PLACES doesn’t show “Gyms”, although the index has a few gyms in there

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I was so disappointed when I clicked the “hand drawn maps” link and it wasn’t mine

Link me to yours and I will add it! Sorry for the omission, I am trying to create an equal-exposure ecosystem of hand-drawn maps here hahaha.

Quote:
    Also just an observation:TYPES OF PLACES doesn’t show “Gyms”, although the index has a few gyms in there

The reason why Gyms aren’t listed under types of places is because there are only 2 at the moment. There are over 20 different “types” of places currently, as a place type accrues more than 3-4 different places I will add it to the dropdown menu in the header which appears everywhere on the site.

Eventually I’m sure it will include 10-15+ different types of places. Some of the other types that don’t currently have enough places but probably will pretty soon:

– Hostels

– Bakeries

– Mountains (Qingcheng Shan, Emei Shan, etc)

– Museums

Participant
    Quote:
    Link me to yours and I will add it! Sorry for the omission, I am trying to create an equal-exposure ecosystem of hand-drawn maps here hahaha.

Well to be fair it’s not really hand drawn, more “mouse drawn”

http://i.imgur.com/HvwtB.jpg

But I’m still disappointed!

All the other stuff u wrote makes sense, good job

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Well to be fair it’s not really hand drawn, more “mouse drawn”

Okay, added! Now we have one two hand drawn maps. You can see the change on the post here: Introducing Chengdu Places

We can already look back on where we “started” with sharing locations: maps drawn in MS Paint.

Participant

Great job. If I want to suggest a place do we use the forum login details?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Great job. If I want to suggest a place do we use the forum login details?

Thanks Ian – you don’t need to login to upload a Place, just follow this link and input some information: Add a Place to Chengdu Places

I’ve found a few new places in the last week that I’m working on… one is the “Treat” supermarket and department store in Raffles City, near the Sichuan Gymnasium subway stop. Definitely the best supermarket that I’ve seen in Chengdu, with an enormous imported food section.

Participant

It says login successful, but no form appears. I’m using Safari and Firefox

Keymaster
    Quote:
    It says login successful, but no form appears. I’m using Safari and Firefox

You don’t need to login. After you visit this page, just click the “Create Entry” button and the page will reload with the form to input information. I just test it on Chrome, Safari, and Firefox and it works for me. Let me know if you can’t get it working and I will help you figure out where the problem is.

Participant

Hi Charlie.

Just tried its working now. I will start adding some places

Thanks

Ian

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Just tried its working now. I will start adding some places

Fantastic, looking forward to checking them out.

Participant

Great!

Participant

Hi, this looks like an interesting project. Good luck with it.

i was going to add a few places but in the suggestion page doesn’t really reconcile with an info page? the different fields? upload photos? mark the place map? you’re going to do this research as part of the editorial process?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    i was going to add a few places but in the suggestion page doesn’t really reconcile with an info page? the different fields? upload photos? mark the place map? you’re going to do this research as part of the editorial process?

Some of the field names are not 100% accurate in terms of naming, but when you add a place you’re uploading:

– Name

– Description

– Type

– Tags

– Photo

Quote:
    you’re going to do this research as part of the editorial process?

Yes. As stated, the plan is not to have this be a comprehensive list of everything in Chengdu, just the best of Chengdu. I have others helping me out and I really do enjoy exploring and experiencing new places in Chengdu. Chengdu Places pushes me toward discovering new places in Chengdu just like Chengdu Living pushes me to engage the city on a more meaningful level, so they’re both positive forces in my life aside from the benefit they provide to others.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.