iOS 7 Beta on iPhone

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussioniOS 7 Beta on iPhone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Anyone testing this out?

For a first beta, I’m amazed at how usable it is. It’s crashed twice in the two days that I’ve been using it but there are so many small useful enhancements. One that I’m loving for China especially is blocking numbers from sending me text messages or calls – no more spam text messages! They also added Tencent Weibo but I literally don’t think I know a single person who uses that.

I don’t care for some of the new icons as much but overall I think the design of this update is a step in the right direction. The animations are greatly improved. One thing that’s hard to tell from screenshots is how much of the interface is transparent and context relative (it reminds me of an extension of the automatically generated album art colors in iTunes 11). When I use my iPad now, the icons and texture-filled interface looks corny.

One strange thing I noticed is “fuzzy pinyin” added to the Chinese options:

iOS7

Here’s info on iOS 7 for anyone who hasn’t seen it: Apple iOS 7

And information on how to install it (although I don’t think it actually requires a developers account, just the .ipsw file): How to Install iOS 7

Participant

I have made it crash a few times in the past 24hrs mainly using photos inside 3rd part apps. Overall I love new design. Its quite slow on the 4s but could just be because it’s a beta. Hoping they bring out a 5s when they release the final ios7. Havent been able to use some apps like Skype or KIK, they don’t open at all. Almost all other apps work 100%. It’s easily the best upgrade they have brought to ios. Im hoping that Mavericks makes my macbook look as good!

Keymaster

I have made it crash a few times in the past 24hrs mainly using photos inside 3rd part apps. Overall I love new design. Its quite slow on the 4s but could just be because it’s a beta. Hoping they bring out a 5s when they release the final ios7. Havent been able to use some apps like Skype or KIK, they don’t open at all. Almost all other apps work 100%. It’s easily the best upgrade they have brought to ios. Im hoping that Mavericks makes my macbook look as good!

I agree, although it doesn’t look like Mavericks is quite as dramatic a change as iOS 7 is. Some bugs I’ve noticed with iOS 7:

• Weibo frequently crashes (both the official client and Weico, which I use)
    • Uploading photos to Weixin leads to a crash, but I found a workaround

Things I use all the time now and love:

• The new control panel
    • Blocking contacts (spam text messages)
    • Automatic app updates
    • Went back to the better default Mail app after using Mailbox
    Participant

Blocking contacts (spam text messages)

I didn’t know about this feature until I saw your comment. It’s the best update for a Chinese phone number! No more spam, woo hoo.

The new control panel

It’s great for most things and really convenient, I just hope they make it customisable. Living in China Id love to be able to add the VPN on/off toggle and access to the music app like the old iOS.

Participant

Thanks for the information about iOS 7 – when will it be available in the App Store?

Keymaster

I switched back to iOS 6 today. It feels like taking a step back but Weibo is not functional in iOS 7 right now at all, which is a deal breaker for me. I also lost a few weeks of 1 Second Everyday footage, which hurts. I’m looking forward to getting the public release this fall once all the bugs are fixed and all the major apps will fully support iOS 7. Already I feel iOS 7 is better than iOS 6 but the lack of 100% app compatibility makes it unsuitable for a daily use phone in my opinion.

Blocking contacts (spam text messages)

I didn’t know about this feature until I saw your comment. It’s the best update for a Chinese phone number! No more spam, woo hoo.

The new control panel

It’s great for most things and really convenient, I just hope they make it customisable. Living in China Id love to be able to add the VPN on/off toggle and access to the music app like the old iOS.

Yeah, Control Panel is so convenient. Mail is vastly improved, so is Calendar. iOS 7 is worth looking forward to.

Thanks for the information about iOS 7 – when will it be available in the App Store?

This fall, when they release new iPhones and iPads.

The new control panel

Don’t know how iPhone users lived without this for so long. Quick toggles for things like wifi and other settings are pretty essential for a smart phone.

Participant

I’m a bit excited over the animation and game pad support for developers. I foresee iPhone docked in a game pad being like a portable gaming console that you carry around in your pocket. Play on a TV by using Airplay and an Apple TV.

I very seldom play games but can see how this might be great for some casual gaming with friends.

Not sure about for example Nintendo Wii’s specs but I think iPhone 5 is more powerful?

Participant

Love the parallax, but I could fry an iEgg on my phone since I upgraded.

Keymaster

Don’t know how iPhone users lived without this for so long. Quick toggles for things like wifi and other settings are pretty essential for a smart phone.

Yeah, it is really handy. I found that what I used most with the Control Panel was the flashlight. Really handy to have access to that in about 2 seconds, even from the lock screen.

I’m a bit excited over the animation and game pad support for developers. I foresee iPhone docked in a game pad being like a portable gaming console that you carry around in your pocket. Play on a TV by using Airplay and an Apple TV.

I very seldom play games but can see how this might be great for some casual gaming with friends.

Not sure about for example Nintendo Wii’s specs but I think iPhone 5 is more powerful?

So true about the game pad. As far as I’m concerned the future of gaming is Apple’s game to lose. iOS games are such high quality and so plentiful, all they really need to break through to the next level are support for TVs and some kind of official gamepad. I sold both my Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 and don’t miss them at all. I download a few new iOS games a month for a pittance and the quality of them always impresses me.

The App Store model is what produces the best games and value, period. The standard publisher model and paying $60 for games is hopelessly antiquated in my opinion. The fact that Sony and Nintendo fail to embrace this even 5 year after the introduction of the App Store is a major failure on their part.

It definitely is, but usually it’s not the power of hardware that determines what’s possible as much as how developers can use that power. The Playstation 3 is a good example – upon launch it was touted to have incredible power, but the platform was so difficult to develop on that good looking games didn’t really emerge for years. With the iOS SDK and tools like Unity 3D, it’s super easy to make and distribute incredible looking games, especially compared to traditional gaming platforms. Games like Infinity Blade 2 and Dead Trigger really demonstrate that power with insane Xbox 360-level graphics.

Love the parallax, but I could fry an iEgg on my phone since I upgraded.

Me too. It also ran significantly slower than iOS 6 on my iPhone 5. With a few months of optimization, iOS 7 is going to be a great upgrade.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.