Jiuzaigou 九寨沟

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionJiuzaigou 九寨沟

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Planning a trip to Jiuzaigou later this year, and wondering if anybody has recommendations and contacts for a tour guide there?

Mandarin speaking is fine but English speaking would be preferred.

Any other tips & tricks bout that place would be appreciated too 🙂

The Abuluzi Tibetan Family Homestay is a great option. You don’t really need a guide for the park itself and Zhuo Ma and her family can act as your hosts in Jiuzhaigou. They can help you plan additional activities besides offering cozy Tibetan meals and an authentic village homestay experience. The website is spotty, here’s a somewhat inaccurate but close enough CNN story link about the place. PM me for details

Participant

Don’t go with a china tour. Yes, it its dirt cheap, but DANGGGG it’s dirty as heck! You wanna be staying in the Holiday Inn or better if you’re heading there.

And I highly recommend flying there instead of taking the bus. It’s a long bus ride, with horrible china traffic and accidents. And Motion sickness.

Keymaster

I heard that it’s best to go in the winter, when there are no tourists. It’s supposed to be stunningly beautiful at that time of year if you can bear the cold.

@ Overland & Eric – Thanks all for the input and noted on the tour guide stuff

@ Charlie – heard it’s cold there year end (hence less tourists?) but also good times to visit are in Aug-Sept during their autumn periods.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @ Charlie – heard it’s cold there year end (hence less tourists?) but also good times to visit are in Aug-Sept during their autumn periods.

August to September is beautiful but also tourist high season so expect to see a lot of people there.

Participant
    Quote:
    I heard that it’s best to go in the winter, when there are no tourists. It’s supposed to be stunningly beautiful at that time of year if you can bear the cold.

I went at Spring Festival a couple of years back, Feb maybe. It was cold, but not drastically more then Chengdu I thought. It was almost empty, I didn’t see 40 people in 2 days.

Quote:
    You don’t really need a guide for the park itself

Totally agree, if you look at a map, the main scenic points lay along the valley floor. Its pretty much impossible to go astray or miss something. Signs and information are in English

The only gotcha to watch out for is if you plan to walk between scenic points. The maps (as ever) aren’t to scale. Maybe you don’t want to waste time/effort walking further between points than you intended (it can be a number of KMs. But I’m pretty sure it’s signed how far the next point is as you leave each one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.