Korean Dramas in China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionKorean Dramas in China

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

So if you’ve been keeping up with what’s hot in China right now you might have heard something about this Korean drama tv series that everyone’s been watching.  I haven’t seen it myself, but I’m wondering if anyone here has and what is there impression of it?

As I was walking through Chunxi Lu one day, I saw a small shaokao vendor with a big screen TV showing this show. The line of people at that vendor was clearly the longest on the whole street. Huge groups of people were just standing there in the cold, eating shaokao and watching this Korean drama.

On another day, my friends and I decided to head to our favorite Korean fried chicken spot which is usually empty, but that night it was completely packed inside and out. A Chinese friend explained that it was because of one episode of the drama that was about eating fried chicken. wtf…

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/chinese-officials-debate-why-china-cant-make-a-soap-opera-as-good-as-south-koreas/2014/03/07/94b86678-a5f3-11e3-84d4-e59b1709222c_story.html

Participant

‘Ah’

Keymaster

So if you’ve been keeping up with what’s hot in China right now you might have heard something about this Korean drama tv series that everyone’s been watching. I haven’t seen it myself, but I’m wondering if anyone here has and what is there impression of it? As I was walking through Chunxi Lu one day, I saw a small shaokao vendor with a big screen TV showing this show. The line of people at that vendor was clearly the longest on the whole street. Huge groups of people were just standing there in the cold, eating shaokao and watching this Korean drama. On another day, my friends and I decided to head to our favorite Korean fried chicken spot which is usually empty, but that night it was completely packed inside and out. A Chinese friend explained that it was because of one episode of the drama that was about eating fried chicken. wtf…

I hadn’t heard about this until our neighborhood Korean fried chicken spot got completely blown up. It wasn’t just crowded but it was comically packed, with a dozen people just loitering by the doorway.

China’s hypocritical relationship with Korea and Japan is so fascinating. They’re bitter and fiercely competitive with both countries but completely obsess over all of their culture – the music, the television, the anime, cars, etc. On Friday I realized that a Chinese guy I know who has talked shit to me many times about Japan drives a Honda.

Anyway, go Korea. They are like the new Japan.

Anyway, go Korea. They are like the new Japan.

Seriously. If I were to summarize China, Korea, and Japan each in one sentence it would be like this:

Japan: Makes all kinds of new, weird shit.
    Korea: Copies shit then makes it better.
    China: Can’t make good shit, so they consume everyone else’s.

I remember when Korean cars used to be the laughing stock of the world. Fast forward 10 years and the Hyundai Sonata is car of the year in the USA. Korean bboys used to get mocked for having no individual style, now the finals at battle of the year (international breakdance competition) features Korean crews vs. another Korean crew. Samsung and LG now own the electronics market. Korea’s rise to the top is impressive.

Hopefully China will get there soon.

Participant

Bboyin yea, but i doubt Korea or Japanese poppers will ever win Juste Deboout (biggest top dancing in the world), sure they will win some categories, but the best sections are usually Europeans. China is light years away from developing style… Thats something no one can buy or ‘cop.’

Keymaster

Can’t make good shit, so they consume everyone else’s. I remember when Korean cars used to be the laughing stock of the world.

I remember this! Daewoo was a punch line. Hyundai was like cheap, shanzhai Honda. The Tiburon came out of the factory looking like it had already been in an accident.

Samsung and LG now own the electronics market. Korea’s rise to the top is impressive. Hopefully China will get there soon.

I personally do not rate Samsung at all but agree complete, the rise of Korean electronics manufacturers is impressive. You’re right about them copying things but I’m not really convinced that they do it that much better. Japan has really fallen off though in terms of innovation – when I was a kid it seemed like everything cool was made in Japan.

Bboyin yea, but i doubt Korea or Japanese poppers will ever win Juste Deboout (biggest top dancing in the world), sure they will win some categories, but the best sections are usually Europeans. China is light years away from developing style… Thats something no one can buy or ‘cop.’

Korean and Japanese dancers have won a lot of Juste Debout  events in the last few years. There’s pretty much always a Japanese or Korean judge on the panel. Japanese dancers have always been among the best in the world along with the USA and France and recently, Koreans have recently started finished in the top. And that’s my point. The Koreans came out of nowhere to the top.

I personally do not rate Samsung at all but agree complete

I know you’re not a fan of their phones and neither am I, but you cannot deny that they created a movement towards the big ass phablet screen, and people love it. Samsung also exploded on the hard drive, notebook pc, and components market. I also thought it was kind of funny that Apple started that legal war against Samsung when Samsung supplied critical parts for lots of Apple products. In that respect, Samsung is kind of hot shit. (but you’ll never catch me using a shiny plastic galaxy)

Korea also beats the whole world in pop music, plastic surgery, and Starcraft.

Keymaster

I know you’re not a fan of their phones and neither am I, but you cannot deny that they created a movement towards the big ass phablet screen, and people love it.

True, but I would not be surprised if that is revealed to be a fad in a few years. Netbooks were huge about 5 years ago also and gave a huge but temporary boost to Taiwanese companies like Asus. Now they’re all but gone (netbooks, not Asus).

I also thought it was kind of funny that Apple started that legal war against Samsung when Samsung supplied critical parts for lots of Apple products. In that respect, Samsung is kind of hot shit. (but you’ll never catch me using a shiny plastic galaxy) Korea also beats the whole world in pop music, plastic surgery, and Starcraft.

Samsung is basically a company which has been extremely successful at copying other companies’ products, especially Apple:

Participant

I used to always get Samsung phones as a result of the alienating “I’m a PC and I’m a Mac” ad campaign that Apple used to have. That was until the Nexus contract went to LG which helped me realize that Samsung are just plain crap.

Samsung do allow people who can’t afford expensive phones access to cheap alternatives though, but this is where the Chinese might have something to pitch into the arena. I’d put money on Xiaomi making better phones than Samsung in the coming years.

Keymaster

I used to always get Samsung phones as a result of the alienating “I’m a PC and I’m a Mac” ad campaign that Apple used to have. That was until the Nexus contract went to LG which helped me realize that Samsung are just plain crap. Samsung do allow people who can’t afford expensive phones access to cheap alternatives though, but this is where the Chinese might have something to pitch into the arena. I’d put money on Xiaomi making better phones than Samsung in the coming years.

I agree. iPhone at the high end and Xiaomi if you want a frugal but functionally-similar smartphone. Although I’m already pretty entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, I had really high hopes for the Google/Motorola partnership so it’s sad to see that end in failure. You need one company to make both the software and hardware to ensure good consistant design, which is why Xiaomi is on the right track with their initiative to create their own version of Android.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.