Local cuisine thread

HomeForumsIn ChengduLocal cuisine thread

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photo7.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

There’s plenty of info on restaurants and bars serving western cuisine, but what about the bomb shaokao stands, hole in the wall noodle joints, and baozi spots? The adventurist eaters out there must know of some gems. Please share!

I’ll kick it off with my current favorite spot.

Li Zhuang Bai Rou (李庄白肉)

This is a medium sized restaurant among a few noodle spots. It actually looks like 2 separate restaurants put together. The house specialty, li zhuang bai rou, is a thinly sliced fatty pork over a bed of sliced cucumber and some other fragrant leafy veg. It’s very garlicky and dumped in a mild red chili sauce. This has been my go to spot. I usually get some yu xiang qie zi (鱼香茄子 fish flavored eggplant?) on the side which is also awesome albeit a little sichuan-style greasy.

excuse the cell phone pic

http://imgur.com/ojoL4

I hope I don’t get flamed because I’m by no means a culinary expert and I also eat everything. This stuff is awesome though.

It’s outside the north gate of SW Jiaotong University. Here’s the Dianping link: http://www.dianping.com/shop/3568780

Participant

Ziich, you gotta photoshop that picture of the food, man. I’m sure it tasted great, but the close up photo is still giving me nightmares. Looks like the little gift tigerkuma (the cat) left at the foot of my bed yesterday….

haha my bad. trust me, it tastes much better than it looks.

Participant

there are two really good home style chuan restaurants off xinxiwang lu, sort of close to the oakwood, that my workmates and i were alternately going to for lunch every day for two weeks.

to get to the area just take subway to tongzilin, take the hangkong lu exit (D) and walk along hangkong lu about 5 min (you will pass two decent hong kong cha cantings) til you hit xinxiwang – the greenery restaurant is on the corner there. walk south down xinxiwang for 2 min or so til you see a pedestrian street on the left, next to century21 rental agency. there are about 5 restaurants there, a place called ‘lily’s house’ being in the middle.

i forget the name but the one on the right of ‘lily’s house’ is super good – their liang bai mu’er is off the chain, great hui guo rou, really nice pumpkin soup and dofu gan. the place at the end is also good (think it’s called hongge xiaoguan) and has awesome yuanzi tang (meatball soup), sweet and sour fish, and tea mushrooms stirfried with bacon.

both places are clean, have picture menus, outdoor seating and aren’t too expensive (for 5 of us average bill was about 80 rmb). one of the places has really good buckwheat tea too….

Participant

I’ve been down that street near Oakwood, but I haven’t tried any of those places yet. My friend said that the one near the center with the biggest outdoor seating area was the best. Maybe I’ll try it this weekend.

Participant

I live really nearby that street and I have dinner over there like 3 times a week as well 🙂 Mostly in the one on the left corner if you’re facing them. Definately one of my favorite restaurants in Chengdu.

Participant

If you ever see a fat white dude with brown hair and glasses there say “Hi!” 😛

Any particular dish recommendations?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.