Locating a Gym in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionLocating a Gym in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I’m new to the city and I am looking for a fitness gym in Chengdu. It would be nice if it wasn’t too far of a walk from a metro station. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Participant

There are several threads about this subject!

Check out Working out in Chengdu

This one may have too much testosterone for your taste:

Girly man gym

Keymaster

Which area of the city do you live in? Each quadrant of the city has gyms so finding the one in proximity to you might be the best move.

Participant

If you are living alone, a home gym would be best. I converted my living room into a sweet home gym. The only minus about it.. Is the lack of motivation :P.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    If you are living alone, a home gym would be best. I converted my living room into a sweet home gym. The only minus about it.. Is the lack of motivation :P.

I tried to do that last year and had the same problem. It’s difficult to get motivated in your house because you don’t psychologically associate your house with physical exertion. For that reason alone – not to mention the investment required to get properly setup – I think a gym fee is worth it.

It also depends on your goals though, if you just want to maintain a reasonable level of fitness you can do bodyweight exercises. If you want to acquire more muscle or see more dramatic change though you will need to be lifting more heavy.

I live in the high tech area.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I live in the high tech area.

There’s no question then, the gym you want to go to is QSL, in Tianfu Software Park. It’s less than a 5 minute walk from the Century City subway stop, next to a China Construction Bank on the 4th floor. A one year membership is 1,600 yuan if I’m not mistaken. I go there 3x a week and there are a handful of other foreigners that are regulars there.

Ok great. I will take a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Sara

Does anyone know a good gym around Renmin South Road?

Is QSL that place in the A section of the software park, or someplace else? I heard it was pretty crowded there? Do you know what their hours are?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Does anyone know a good gym around Renmin South Road?

There’s one in the Yulin neighborhood and one in Tongzilin, both of which are about a 10-15 minute walk West of Renmin South Road. The one in Tongzilin is by the Carrefour but I haven’t been to the gym in Yulin. Supposedly it’s by 1st Ring Road.

Quote:
    Is QSL that place in the A section of the software park, or someplace else? I heard it was pretty crowded there? Do you know what their hours are?

Yeah, that’s QSL. I go just before lunchtime and it’s never crowded – there’s a regular crowd of about half a dozen around that time. If you go between 6-7:30pm it’ll probably be crowded though. I’m not sure of the hours but I will check for you tomorrow when I go.

Is it Orient Gym near Carrefour? I’ll check it out.

Thanks again!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Is it Orient Gym near Carrefour? I’ll check it out.

Yup, that’s the one. On the 3F of the Carrefour apparently.

Thanks Charlie! I work down there, that’d be super convenient, but I prefer to work out late (yeah I know, I’m odd)

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Thanks Charlie! I work down there, that’d be super convenient, but I prefer to work out late (yeah I know, I’m odd)

No problem, I’ve been going to QSL for a few months and it’s great, I haven’t had any problems. I’ve met some cool people there and seen a handful of foreigners too. As long as you miss the gym rush hour (6-7pm) you’ll be fine.

Participant

@JerryS Where did your purchase your equipment for your home gym? I’m thinking of setting up something like that at my place. Specifically looking for resistance bands, exercise ball, and possible some kettlebells.

Participant

@S. Howard

I got all my stuff off taobao. Best to do a search and what not. If you are near a Deafalon (SP), you can check there.

For the things you mentioned, i have those.

– Resistance bands (various resistance weights) 150 RMB

– Exercise ball, new age/style of working out! 80 RMB

– Kettlebells 2 pairs of 20lbs and 7lbs 400 + 150 RMB

– Balance board 60 RMB

– Finally a pull up/dip station. 800 RMB (shipping 100 more to the door, quite heavy)

The total cost for all those was about 1500 RMB, give or take 1-200 rmb. The pull up station is well worth it.

In another thread theres a discussion about ‘ crazy apartments,’ well all i need is my living room gym and its uber snazzy! As you can see, living room apt= single male 😛

I also wanted a rowing machine, but i was not able to… Damn, need cardio too.

Participant

@Jerry thanks man! Super helpful. Will start looking around, figured TaoBao was the place to go.

Exercise balls are a bit new age 🙂 I actually hurt my back in a bad mountain bike crash a long time ago and my physical therapist had me use one for rehab/strengthening. Did wonders for core strength and balance. Thinking it would be good to start using again one again.

That pull up/dip station is out of my price range for now but I could see that being awesome.

I actually have a really big studio so it will be bedroom/living room/gym in one!

Thanks again!

Participant

@ S.H.

No prob! Look up ‘ProBodX’ by Marv. His stuff is really good. He has some videos on youtube, he also trained BJ Penn (MMA/UFC fighter) when he was world champion again.

The pull up bar is also great for stretching the back muscles and loosening up the spine after a hard day’s work. Plus the ‘crack crack crack’ that lengthens the spine, makes it well worth it :).

OWW, BTW, you might need mats. Not the yoga kind of mats, try to get the puzzle ones. They will smell for two weeks, but after that, they are good.

Hope the best for you!

So did you find out the hours for QSL?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.