Loking for advice on housing

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsLoking for advice on housing

• This topic has 21 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoAKK.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Greetings from France!

I am planning to come to Chengdu in February 2012 to study Mandarin for a year, probably Sichuan or Chengdu University.

I have read that the best way to find an apartment is to walk in the area I want to live in and seek agencies.

Could you tell me how long does it take to find an apartment through an agency in average ?

I am not too picky, just concerned about the distance between the studio (ideally a studio or 1 bedroom apartment) and the campus (I haven’t applied yet), cleanliness, ideally fully furnished or at least working air con + fridge! . My budget will be approx 1000 – 1800 RMB. I also won’t mind sharing an apartment. Does it sound reasonable for my criteria?

Thing is, I don’t know if I should book the campus dorm room right away when I apply for uni or book a whole week at a hotel first because I am sure I won’t stay in uni campus as it is very small and more expensive for what it is (1500 RMB).

Thanks for your reply in advance!

Kind regards.

Keymaster

Yeah, the best way to find an apartment is probably to hit the street and see what agencies are offering. You’ll pay an agency fee (which is negotiable) but otherwise there isn’t really any downside to this method. You can also look online but this is much more time consuming and better if you have weeks or months to find a new place.

I’d say 1,500+ will be enough if you’re living alone, or if you have that much to spend living with someone else you can get a really comfortable place. If you need a temporary place to crash for a week or something I recommend Hakka Homes, prices are reasonable, the rooms are clean, and they’re not far from Sichuan University.

Good luck!

I’ve been browsing this site: http://cd.eeju.com/

I don’t have any experience actually contacting anyone yet, but I was able to filter by price range and location and most listings have ok pictures to give you an idea.

Participant

Be skeptical of places you see online. When I was looking for apartments, I found some great places online. When I called to set up appointments they assured me they had the listings for show. After showing up for my appointments the agencies denied that they ever said the places online were still for rent.

In short, you might get the run around if you’re only looking online.

Participant

Yeah, i would agree with Justin. My place was advertised at 500 kuai a month more on -line than at the agent on the street. Another problem is that the photos they use sometimes don’t match the property. You quickly get used to this: amazing villa, 4 bedrooms, jacuzzi, swimming pool, theatre, 1400 kuai per month (OK, maybe i exaggerated abit….). Yeah man, hit the streets, get some exercise, find a bargain…

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I won’t waste my time with internet ads!

I’ll definitely ask the agencies.

How long did it take you guys to find an appartment in average ?

BTW I don’t speak mandarin fluently, just the basic, so I hope I won’t have any trouble finding an agent who speaks English.

Participant

I am definitely sure that you will have trouble finding an agent who speaks English. It will be a pain in the arse. Better get a friend who can translate or something

Participant

Hi, I’m an English-speaking agent in Chengdu, specializing in looking for apartments or villas for foreigners who are working, travelling or studying in Chengdu.

If you need my services, just send me an Email: [email protected]

Having a Chinese speaking friend is a sound piece of advice, and preferably someone with a good knowledge of Chengdu. It will help you save time by focusing on areas that make sense geographically, and will also help keep the (foreigner) prices down. A good agent will also be worth their weight in gold, so if you find one, stick with them until they find you something. Avoid the agents who will try and set you up for viewings that turn out to be an utter waste of time and effort.

Good Luck!

Participant

http://www.chengdu-housing.com

You also can email your requirement to me

@ Charlene: Hi Charlene. As an agent in Chengdu, perhaps you can give some insight to the often extortionate rents being charged by landlords and agents alike. There appears to have been a snowball effect with certain properties in the city, whereby as soon as word gets around that ‘foreigners’ are renting, or that a certain rental price has been achieved, all of a sudden everyone is upping the rents to reflect not the value of the property in question, but how much can maximally be charged. I’ve personally viewed properties asking 20,000+ RMB monthly, that were not worth a fraction of this in real market terms, nor reflective of financing.

Participant

My company from Shanghai,is different from some of the local agencies in Chengdu,we have 7 years experiences doing relocation services for foreigner friends in Shanghai,and Chengdu office just opened this year.We looking for apartments according to your requirement,negotiate with landlords,prepare English and Chinese version contacts,assist moving house,assist furniture purchasing,aftersales service,etc.Service charge is the same rate as local market.We treat us client sincerely!

Participant

Charlene, just out of interest, if a foreigner, say a student, approached you about renting an apartment for less than 2000 a month, would you be able to help out? I’ve had similar experience with Brendan. With the current place i rent the agent (zongjie) was very excited, calling the fang dong and saying more than once “he’s a foreigner”. I rolled my eyes then asked her “Why is that important?”. of course, when it came time to negotiate, it was VERY tough for me, and negotiations dragged on for over a week before she relented. Anyway, i’m sure there are lotsa foreigners who could use your service!

BTW: are you the girl who was working at Panda club for the opening night?

Participant
    Quote:
    BTW: are you the girl who was working at Panda club for the opening night?

Dear tigerkuma,i’m not the girl,hehe

Participant
    Quote:
    if a foreigner, say a student, approached you about renting an apartment for less than 2000 a month, would you be able to help out?

sure,I will try my best to help.Before I worked foreign country,so I understand the feels that you are not in your own county,especilly after one day working,want go back the small but cozy spaces.

Participant

Hi people,

I will be working in Chengdu from Dec onwards, and would need to hunt for an apartment (studio or 1-bedroom) which is not too far from my workplace in West Daqiang Street, Qingyang district. I did some searching online but have yet to find suitable ones.

Can someone recommend a suitable location near the workplace?

Participant

“鼓楼国际” Gulou International ,is a quite new compound

Quote:
    I will be working in Chengdu from Dec onwards, and would need to hunt for an apartment (studio or 1-bedroom) which is not too far from my workplace in West Daqiang Street, Qingyang district.

When I first arrived in Chengdu, I stayed in an apartment building right beside the Wenshu Monastery Subway (H) entrance/exit, called ‘Number 1 Apartments’. More immediately recognisable is the ‘Above The World’ Restaurant and Club on the ground level, situated in the same building. If you make your way into the (residential) reception area you can enquire about vacancies. They also always have cards on reception for the main rental agent.

It’s a nice building with amenities, and situated ideally for you if your in that area. Downtown is also just 2 short metro stops away. I was paying 2000 RMB for a small (55m sq) studio, which while not huge, was comfortable enough while I set about finding my feet. It was also available month by month, as opposed to the often 3 months in advance demanded by agencies and landlords here.

Hope that helps.

I have an apartment for rent. 1 bedroom 1 lovign room kitchen and bathroom, furnished with all appliances, king size bed. 18th floor, nice view. located in the west of the city, within the 1st ring road, ( which means almost center of the town) 5 mins waling distance from carrefour. avalaible from December. Caontact me when your in Chengdu. If I still havnt rented it out in Feb, you can have it. RMB1700/month net. No agent commition, cuz I’m the landlord.

Ugh. if you had this one week earlier I would have taken it instantly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.