Mexicans in China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMexicans in China

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I currently live in the United States and plan to relocate to China next year. I have done some research on what cities to move to and Chengdu seems like the perfect choice for me. I am still researching visas, teaching english, etc.

I was born in the United States but both my parents are Mexican. I am light skinned and speak Spanish. I would like to know how the Chinese feel towards Mexicans. I would also like to know if being Mexican will have an effect in getting a job teaching English. I ask because I have read that most companies that hire English teachers perfer the blond-blue eyed-American.

Thanks,

AJ

Participant

Hi AJ, i travelled around Mexico for about 6 months a few years ago, and when i asked my students here what they knew about Mexico, it was basically nothing, except for “very dangerous” (but Chinese often think that any non-western country is dangerous). So it’s basically a blank slate, and you won’t suffer from any prejudice here. The schools dont specifically want “blond hair and blue eyes”, but they often want what Chinese consider to be “white”. If you said that you’re American, you’ll have no trouble finding a job. If you’re not comfortable with that, saying that you’ve lived in the states will suffice. if you make a few phone calls, knock on a few doors, there are heaps of teaching jobs here. if you show that you’re responsible and enjoy teaching, the schools will be happy to keep you. The trouble here is not finding foreign teachers, but finding reliable ones. Anyway, good luck!

PS: if i wasn’t living here, i might try Zacatecas. That place is awesome. Or Morelia, or Guanajuato, or Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Chiapas etc. great country Mexico…

Participant

.. Must resist to make joke… Must respect my Latino buds in the states.. must.. 😛

Would be cool to have Mexican Americans, not sure if there are any migrants from Mexico itself (though would be cool to have authentic Mexican food here!)

Participant

Wow Ray, you have been to some nice cities in Mexico! I am embarrassed to say that I have only been to Guadalajara. Its a beautiful city with some nice architecture and great food.

I am glad to hear that I wont suffer from any prejudice there. Im sure that there might be some rude people here and there, but that happens everywhere.

I plan to get my TFL/TESOL certification in order to increase my chances with employment. I also plan to learn Mandarin before I go (I know the dialect is different in Chengdu). Hopefully I can find employment quickly.

Participant

Hi Jerry, I was pretty suprised to see how many Mexican restuarants there are in China. Not sure how authentic they are but atleast there are some there. Actually, there are not that many authentic ones here in the States, lol. Speaking of food, the “hot pot” I keep reading about looks amazing. I think I want that to be my first meal in Chengdu!

Participant

howdy, mi loco. welcome to china. gi’me a hollar when you actually got here.

Participant

I miss my buds rice and beans. Heck, i even miss.. Taco bell!!! There are some places that serve Mexican food, but its pretty crappy. Only place i can say is good is the Lazy Pug.

If you are a US citizen with a degree, you can get a job easily. Just hope the company you work for is very reputable. Some places dont require those fancy ‘ESL teaching’ degrees, its helpful though.

Participant

Vic, I plan to be in Chengdu sometime next year. Im still in the planning and selling everything I own, phase 🙂

Jerry, I love tacos, rice and beans, etc. but I love Mexican breakfasts like chilaquiles! Hopefully I can get the ingredients there.

Participant

@ Jerry how about those taco burritoes and margaritas, mi loco?

Participant

I wear a EZLN zapatista bandana on a regular basis 😛

y puedo hablar español.

Participant

@Elias: that will get you into serious trouble on the streets dude, even in Chiapas. I was wearing an FMLN hat in San Salvador, waiting in the queue at a supermarket. Big guy came up to me: “Buddy, you don’t wanna wear that here. Back home OK, but not here”. Then he smiled, and said “enjoy EL Salvador bro”….

Participant

@Elias: This past halloween saw a guy on reddit dressed as Marcos; had the balaclava, pipe, but couldn’t swing the horse. Cool costume…

Participant

yeah Ray as if being a gringo doesn’t stand out enough. keep a low profile in south america, my dad’s student was robbed at gunpoint in Guayaquil Ecuador, and she looks latina…

the chinese like the red star hahah, if they only knew the real significance!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.