Mobile Broadband Internet

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMobile Broadband Internet

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I use to hang out at cafes working on my laptop, but too often the wifi is very crappy. Considering getting a mobile broadband subscription of some sort, but haven’t found any good one.

Got any advice?

My phone is on China Unicom and can share the Internet connection, but my monthly data amount is only 300mb. Would need at least a few gigabyte. Seems like China Unicom don’t have any plan with a big amount of data included. Migrating to another provider is also an option. Or getting a separate mobile broadband subscription…

This needs confirming, but Unicom were offering a 6Gb per month plan for a flat 2000 rmb recently I believe.

Chengdu is supposed to be rolling out free Wi-Fi across the city soon, though who knows how useful/useless that will be when it’s eventually up and running 100%.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Chengdu is supposed to be rolling out free Wi-Fi across the city soon, though who knows how useful/useless that will be when it’s eventually up and running 100%.

That’ll be the day. Do you have an article or source for this?

Participant

I got my simcard from Taobao, it’s a 66RMB/mo plan, it includes 1GB and 200 minutes in calls, but the number is from Zhejiang.

If you don’t mind your phone number not being a local number, or you don’t use this to make phone calls, I would recommend you buying it from Taobao from any other province offering something suitable for you (in Shandong and Zhejiang they normally have much better offers than in Sichuan, I think there is a 5G/mo plan for 78RMB now in Shandong).

If you don’t understand Chinese find someone to help you with the details, sometimes they offer different bandwidth within and outside the province.

Participant
    Quote:
    This needs confirming, but Unicom were offering a 6Gb per month plan for a flat 2000 rmb recently I believe.

If there’s a zero too much in there then this might be interesting 🙂

Quote:
    If there’s a zero too much in there then this might be interesting 🙂

My bad, that’s 2000 RMB up front for a 1 year contract. Again, that needs confirming that it’s still available.

Quote:
    That’ll be the day. Do you have an article or source for this?

I’ll try and confirm that, but as far as I’m aware they’re installing wifi in telephone booths across the city. I’ll update this thread when I get more info.

Participant

I found this:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=24634356438

60Gb to be used in a year at 350RMB (check the details, just in case I understood it wrong)

Participant
    Quote:
    I found this:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=24634356438

60Gb to be used in a year at 350RMB (check the details, just in case I understood it wrong)

Great find! Thanks. The text mentions 5gb per month, but in my understanding it seems like there’s no monthly cap so one could just use it all up then get a new one. Otherwise there’s also some 120gb ones.

Quote:
    I found this:

Great find Jonatan, I just ordered one now. Thanks for posting the link.

Is China Unicom’s mobile broadband on 3G even worth using? I mean, I loading webpages on my phone on 3G is painfully slow.

Like I’m usually done pooping before the page loads, then there’s no point.

Participant

Is China Unicom’s mobile broadband on 3G even worth using? I mean, I loading webpages on my phone on 3G is painfully slow.

China Unicom’s 3G have been working very well for me on my phone.

Anyone know anything about 3G USB sticks? Know of a good brand or so?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.