Monsters and Critics Book Club

HomeForumsIn ChengduMonsters and Critics Book Club

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Monsters and Critics is a brand new bookclub established right in the heart of Chengdu. We meet every three weeks in The Bookworm, we have just finished our second meeting and everyone had a fantastic time. At Monsters and Critics, each member takes it in turns to select a book for the rest of the group to read and three weeks later we discuss what we thought it as a group. On Thursday 29th of November, we will be holding our third meeting. The book we will be discussing is ‘The Sisters Brothers’ by Patrick DeWitt. ‘The Sisters Brothers’ is a darkly comic western set on the American frontier in the 19th century. If you would like to get involved please e-mail me at [email protected] or call me on 18280391806. The next meeting takes place in The Bookworm on Thursday 19th of November. Kick off is at 8pm.

Participant

sounds interesting. i’ll drop in from time to time but cannot make it a regular gig. would it be a problem?

Keymaster

Sounds interesting – do you have a list of the upcoming books?

Participant

Vic: that would not be a problem at all. If you e-mail me I can keep you updated with what we are reading and you can come along whenever you are free

Charlie: We don’t know what the next book will be until we have finished each meeting. It’s totally democratic. There is no limit to what book can be read at Monsters and Critics. Obviously people need time to read the book. So it is probably not a good idea to nominate the collected works of Shakespeare or Chaucher. But any book you like, or you think other people will like, or will get people talking would be fine. For example, the book we’ve just finished reading was ‘River Town’ by Peter Hessler. And we’ve been seriously discussing selecting a book by Mo Yan for next time. The truth is we don’t know what will be the next book until the end of each meeting.

Participant

Vic: that would not be a problem at all. If you e-mail me I can keep you updated with what we are reading and you can come along whenever you are free

Charlie: We don’t know what the next book will be until we have finished each meeting. It’s totally democratic. There is no limit to what book can be read at Monsters and Critics. Obviously people need time to read the book. So it is probably not a good idea to nominate the collected works of Shakespeare or Chaucher. But any book you like, or you think other people will like, or will get people talking would be fine. For example, the book we’ve just finished reading was ‘River Town’ by Peter Hessler. And we’ve been seriously discussing selecting a book by Mo Yan for next time. The truth is we don’t know what will be the next book until the end of each meeting.

Participant

This sounds like a great time! Is this still going on? If so, I’d love to join!

Participant

Sounds interesting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.