Mooney's 228rmb Hamburger

HomeForumsIn ChengduMooney's 228rmb Hamburger

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Stumbled on this article today on Facebook: Open Wide for a Burger Feast

They don’t charge you if you can finish this gargantuan beast that is sliced up like a pizza. This is the most over-the-top culinary item I’ve seen since the restaurant that Michelle Obama went to had the Obama meal or whatever it was called. For the sake of novelty though I gotta admit that I am a little intrigued.

Participant

I would last about three slices, It looks like at least a 3 man job.

Participant

Looks like it’s snatched straight off of Man vs. Food 😛 There are several burger episodes, like Sasquatch Burger, and some ridiculous 40-person burger (190lb burger)

Look at these ridiculous burgers:
    http://eaglesdeli.com/menu-burgers.html
    “Eagle’s Challenge
    6lbs of burger, 24pcs of bacon, 24pcs of american cheese, 5lbs of fries, and 1 deli pickle.”

That being said, I’ve never *seen* one of these, and this seems like it’s worth going for to check out – for the size and amount of meat I guess 228rmb is reasonable.. def check it out.

I’ve tried this burger. It’s the only reasonably priced item on the menu, assuming you split it between 3 or more people. It’s comically huge – I think there were 4 of us and we didn’t finish it, but we weren’t particularly hungry. Taste wise, I remember it being very mediocre. It’s really only worth trying for the novelty value, or because you are hungry and everything else is ridiculously overpriced.

Participant

Sounds uninteresting Ben, aside from the one time photo op 😛 It makes sense though – it’d be hard to cook something so large so consistently well, as well as hard to balance flavours bite for bite, seems more gimmicky than anything. I’m also SUPER suspicious of their advertised “Wagyu beef” – massaged cows, for 228/kg at an overpriced barfood grill, 4RILLZ? I think not!

Participant

498 rmb for one of those burgers plus free flowing draft beer for two hours (4 people) looks like a good deal. I might be roping in some mates to try that.

Participant

RE: value, free-flow beer is always nice, but there are lots of free-flow-beer deals in the ‘du, I see the 2 hour limit as a restriction I would not want in this case — because if you’re going to be trying to munch down a gigantic wad of burger parts, surely you wont be able to suck down beers at the same time with any significant quantity. It’d be better if you could eat the burger, then begin the 2 hour drink all you can timer separately, although that’d be a really weird way to restrict a meal too 😀 If you do give ‘er a go though AM I’d be interested to seeing whether that’s not the case, and how many people can down how many beers and burn thru the giga-burger in 2 hours to figure out whether it’s worth it 😀 let us know!

Participant

Too much bread… I would rather spend the money at The Hot Spot…

mmmm lamb chops

Participant

Ian’s right, it’s the bread that’d slow you down. Does anyone want to go and split this, just to scope it out and weigh it up?

Participant

RE: value, free-flow beer is always nice, but there are lots of free-flow-beer deals in the ‘du

I need more info on this for research purposes. I will be out of the sticks and into the ‘du come September! And agreed, the bun should be about half that height.

Participant

I need more info on this for research purposes.

Most of the ‘buffet’ style restaurants have free flow beer – most of which you can go pour yourself, some is brought to you. Typically the buffets in Chengdu with said service run between 100-200rmb/pp. Sometimes the drinks available include wine or other cocktails, but of questionable quality..buffets including sake are the best.

Typically there are not hour limits at the restaurants, I imagine this one has a 2 hour limit because it is a bar rather than a restaurant, and without a limit, it’d be a little bit too good of a deal 😀 With the limit, it’s a questionable one. Need more feedback (or giving it a try) to determine which is the case!

If you have more specific food-type-questions I’d give my breakdown of available buffets & beer, one of my favorite types of dinner outs..but as for ‘free flow beer’ is pretty standard here. Keep in mind tsingdao 500ml bottles cost like 3rmb at the market.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.