Moving to Chengdu, What Do I Need to Know?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMoving to Chengdu, What Do I Need to Know?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello! I have been lurking on this message board for a while, but haven’t had anything relevant to say until now; I have just accepted a job offer with EF, and will be moving to Chengdu in June. What do I need to know? I thought that those who are living in Chengdu might have some tips as to what I should do/know before I come, etc. This will not be my first time in China, so I am not overly worried about cultural adjustment issues, but am more concerned with logistics, such as where to look for an apartment (or what agency to use), etc. My husband (a videographer/cameraman) is also going to be looking for a job, so if anyone happens to know of a video staffing agency, that would be really helpful too. We are both very excited about this upcoming move! It’s a little overwhelming when I think of all that has to be done to get ready…

Thanks for your help!

Participant

Hi

Which EF?

Participant

They haven’t told me yet; I assume that will come in the phone conversation later today. I was told it was at an Etown center… Also, I will be teaching older kids and/or adults, if that helps you narrow it down. I am excited to find this out as well!

Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

If you’ve spent time in China I think you’ll find living in Chengdu pretty easy. I’m not sure where you lived previously, but Chengdu is laid back and people are friendly. Summertime is hot, but it’s a lot of fun, too.

Apartments are pretty easy to find, there are agencies everywhere which can help you find whatever you’re looking for. You can also look for apartments yourself online using sites like Soufun (these will require some Chinese language skills).

In general Chengdu is becoming more and more accessible to foreigners, so life here is getting easier. However some recent issues are things like traffic and the rising cost of living. Overall though, I’d say life in Chengdu is pretty easy and laid back for most foreigners.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.