Moving to Chengdu, what to bring?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMoving to Chengdu, what to bring?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’m moving to Chengdu from Toronto on the 28th of Aug. From past experience living in Japan I found that there were certain products/food that I couldn’t get over there or it was stupidly expensive or just not to foreign standard.(i.e. toothpaste with fluoride,peanut butter deodorant, OTC, cheese, quinoa etc.) Any recommendations?

Participant

Thermal underwear if you are here over winter.

Participant

Hello and welcome.

Quinoa I doubt. The rest ok. Check this forum history for 1-2 months, like registering with the PSB.

Participant

What is PSB?

Participant

My last trip over my luggage was packed with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, Red Rose tea, a couple of hard Italian cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar, and mascarpone are readily available) and some spices. If I’d been short on luggage space I wouldn’t have bothered with the personal care products, since you can get them here but they are quite $$. Quinoa you can get by mail order (Taobao) but if you want to avoid that hassle bring some.

Participant

PSB= branch of the police tasked with visas etc.

Participant
    Keymaster

There used to be a list of things that we all wanted that we couldn’t get in Chengdu but honestly, now you can get almost everything you need either locally or on Taobao. I wouldn’t worry too much about forgetting to bring something to Chengdu.

Participant

Is their an English button on the Taobao website?

Nothing…just bring yourself. Anything can be bought conveniently everywhere. You should try to adapt the lift in Chengdu as quickly, or there will be lots of problems waiting for you! Good luck!

Participant

About toothpaste with fluoride that you mentioned, the supermarket located at the basement (level 1) of Far Eastern Department Store which is to the southeast of Tianfu Square across the street carries many western brands of toothpaste both with and without fluoride. I remember seeing the “Triple Action” toothpaste. They also carry a couple of western brands of laundry detergent, such as “Arm and Hammer”. You can also find milk that’s imported from Australia and Germany.

Participant

If you use the online shopping platform Taobao you should be careful because there are a lot of fakes out there. I always try to only buy from sellers that have high ratings.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.