Moving to Chengdu – Where to Live?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMoving to Chengdu – Where to Live?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

for: 1) clubs

2) cheaper rent

3) subway access

4) some foreign community

also if anyone looking for roomate or something I will arrive Jan 10th, self employed 29 year old male, work online, speaking decent Chinese

Keymaster

Near Jiuyanqiao (East) or Shuangnan (South).

why? what’s the difference between east and south? everyone says “south”, but in Guangzhou, south is basically the suburbs and not a very happening area.. so i’m scared!

Participant

We used to live in the south. We had a small (tiny)two bed in Yulin. For the same rent we now have a four bedroom in the east very close to the second subway line. Go East

Participant

“why? what’s the difference between east and south? everyone says “south”, but in Guangzhou, south is basically the suburbs and not a very happening area.. so i’m scared!”

In Chengdu, South, is international area. there are a lot of foreigners living, there are also a lot of Chengdu snacks, and fun place

Keymaster
    Quote:
    why? what’s the difference between east and south? everyone says “south”, but in Guangzhou, south is basically the suburbs and not a very happening area.. so i’m scared!

The east is more up and coming, the south is more established. A lot of the developments in the east are new, there are a lot of high rises and things like that whereas the south is more neighborhood and older buildings, more trees, etc. There are clubs and bars in both districts, higher rent and more foreigners and foreign-targeted businesses in the south.

Participant

I don’t regret moving east. I just miss Mike’s pizza. A few of my friends have also took the leap and moved East.

Participant

In south, you’ll find more and better pizza, cakes, desserts and local snacks.

what about clubs and party scene? and big shopping malls, and happening places?

i prefer to live ‘downtown’-y , over “trees and neighborhoods”

also about what prices for a single apartment ? studio or 1 bedroom?

Participant

Clubs, parties, shopping malls, there are more in the South than other places in Chengdu.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    also about what prices for a single apartment ? studio or 1 bedroom?

About 1,200 – 2,500 depending on size, location, and building newness. Both the south and east have what you’re looking for. If you’re unsure, come to Chengdu and stay in a hostel or Hakka Homes for a week or two while you explore the city and figure out what’s right for you.

Participant

My impression is that most foreigners and attractions for foreigners are in the South.

The East is mainly ‘old’ common chengdu folks ‘本地人’ whose grandparents are from Chengdu too (Fewer than you’d think). For some reason every taxi driver seems to live in the East too, try asking next time you take a cab!

Although area around the East Music Park does seem to be getting pretty trendy with young people, and its definitely cheaper than the South Central area too.

Participant

what planet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.