Music Producers in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMusic Producers in Chengdu

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Who’s making music in Chengdu? I’ve been slacking the last year or so, not taking the time to make much music, and I think it’s partly because there’s no production community in Chengdu. There’s a producer here, a producer there, etc, but not really any kind of community.

I’m trying to find some local producers to meet up and network or just talk shop about music production. I mostly make hip hop and trip hop but I’ve also made dubstep and drum & bass. I use Ableton Live and a Maschine but I am knowledgeable on Reason 6 and Akai MPC’s.

Who’s making music in Chengdu?

I’ve had a fully fledged, soundproofed midi studio in my apartment for over a year now, but other things have kept me too busy to have given it any time. It doesn’t help that I stare at a computer screen all day at work, so when I get home I’m not too inclined to sit and stare at the two in my studio. That said, I have been edging at getting it going again lately, as well as trying to listen to new music when I can.

I’ve so far etched out some drum and bass, but my aim is to experiment with different bpm’s and sounds, and see what comes out.

In the studio I have a dedicated Mac Mini running Reason 7, with a fairly colossal number of ReFills (some rare) and huge Audio sample library. Main controller is an Akai MPK49, alongside an MPC 2500XL. I have other bits and pieces, including some circuit bent gear, and a Kaos Pad +Kaosillator. I keep an old Yamaha A3000 sampler for sentimentalities sake (it was my first sampler in 1998!), and I just picked up an Electrix Tweaker DJ Midi controller, as it’s the first controller I’ve seen that’s warmed my old school cockles.
    For monitoring I went with the Yamaha HS80’s, and an HS10 Subwoofer.  I spent a couple of months putting the studio together, and have to say it sounds pretty damn good sat in the sweet spot!

Participant

A Chinese friend of mine just opened a production studio in Chengdu. I think he is doing a lot of commercial stuff or just whatever comes up. He is traveling at the moment but when he gets back I can get more details.

Participant

Hi there,just arrived Chengdu and I have plenty of time to go back producing stuffs. What do you think of talking about that with a beer one of those days ?
    Arno

Participant

What is there for work for music producers in Chengdu, anyway?

Keymaster

A Chinese friend of mine just opened a production studio in Chengdu. I think he is doing a lot of commercial stuff or just whatever comes up. He is traveling at the moment but when he gets back I can get more details.

Nice. I think there are a handful of those around Chengdu. I visited a “DJ school” type studio a few weeks for the first time. Cool place and packed with fun DJ gear to mess with.

Hi there,just arrived Chengdu and I have plenty of time to go back producing stuffs. What do you think of talking about that with a beer one of those days ?
    Arno

I’m down. What do you produce? This upcoming weekend will be good, if that works for you.

What is there for work for music producers in Chengdu, anyway?

Locally, mostly music for game developers and film or tv companies. The best situation for a producer in Chengdu would be to benefit from the low cost of living here and produce music for clients around the world.

Participant

@charlie : Lately, I produced let’s say “dance “music (https://soundcloud.com/noons) with ableton live but I used to play keyboards in different bands so I’m interested by everything .

It’s kind of late to ask but I ‘d better like to meet today if it’s suit u. I’m going t travel at the end of the week.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.