Music/Studio Equipment in China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMusic/Studio Equipment in China

• This topic has 15 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoAJ.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I plan to relocate to China next year and will only be taking my clothing with me. I have some studio equipment that I use to make music on the side that I wish I can take with me. I know that I can ship it to myself, but Im certain that will not be cheap to do so.

Is it hard to find/get equipment there in China? I would like to buy some quality studio monitors, audio interface, MIDI keyboard, mics, bass guitar and a Native Instrument ‘Maschine’.

Thanks

Hey AJ,

As you read this my entire midi studio is en route via ocean cargo liner from Canada. I have it on a pallet totaling 300+kg, at a cost of $2000 including insurance and 1 years prior storage. Insured cargo cost makes for $1300 of that $2k.

I guess it depends how attached to you are to any equipment you’ve got. You will be able to buy online obviously, and Charlie (on here) recently bought a Maschine himself. He’ll give you the deets on that I’m sure.

Where are you coming from, and what have you been producing?

Participant

Hi Brendan,

I figured it would cost around that much to ship a crate with equipment to China. I could not find any online music stores that shipped to China, so thats why I created this thread. Perhaps someone can post some online music stores that will ship there.

I’m coming from California and the music I have been producing is hip hop. However, I would like to produce all types of music in the future. I am still learning how to use the all the equipment and DAW.

What have you been producing?

Participant

Can someone please post some links to online stores that sell music equipment in China?

Thanks

Keymaster

What’s up AJ,

I’m a hip hop producer also.. all of the things you mentioned you can get here, some of it in Chengdu locally, other stuff shipped from other cities in China. Generally, it’s a pain to get music equipment shipped from overseas due to payment and since it has to go through customs, etc. But you can do that, just make sure they ship with a Chinese address and include your phone number. Most places will ship overseas but basically once it crosses into China they usually aren’t responsible for delivery of the package.

What I do is order from Taobao (Chinese eBay) sellers who take care of the import/customs step for me. You often pay a little more than you would in the states, but you don’t have much to worry about. I got a Maschine on Taobao a few months ago, no problems there. You can get all of the stuff you mentioned on Taobao.

You can get smallish studio monitors in Chengdu (I have M-Audio B2031’s which are mediocre) and bass guitar near Sichuan Music University, but most of the other stuff you’ll probably want to get shipped here from Shanghai or Beijing.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more specific info.

Participant

Hey Charlie, thanks for the info. Im still up in the air on if I want to ship my equipment along with some other belongings, or just buy everything new again.

I don’t think you’re going to have too much trouble finding what you want with a little effort AJ, and you can always find someone to point you in the right direction. As Charlie says above, you’ll find most things on Taobao for starters.

My limited production has been within Drum & Bass, although I too plan to start experimenting with slower tempos next year. Can’t wait to be up and running again.

Give us a shout when you eventually land in Chengdu, and keep us posted here on what you turn up as far as shipping/equipment/etc goes.

Good Luck.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hey Charlie, thanks for the info. Im still up in the air on if I want to ship my equipment along with some other belongings, or just buy everything new again.

What equipment are you thinking about bringing? I’ll let you know how rare it is in China…

Participant

Brendan, I plan to be there sometime next year. I will post up when Im here and hopefully we can all meet.

Charlie, here is what I currently have in my home studio:

NI Maschine

AKAI MPK61

On Stage KS7150 Stand

Audio Technica LP240 Turntable

NI Komplete Audio 6 (audio interface)

Mackie MR MK2 Studio Monitors 5″

Adjustable Monitor Stands

Studio Monitor Issolation Pads

Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones

Bluebird Mic

Participant

Do you think I would have a problem with the TSA or Customs if I pack some gear in a luggage?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    NI Maschine

AKAI MPK61

On Stage KS7150 Stand

Bluebird Mic

I would bring the Maschine, sound card, and microphone and get the other stuff here. Monitors will be really heavy and difficult to move (even though yours aren’t large) and a 61 key keyboard and turntable are heavy and cumbersome also. Getting turntables here is tough, but since you just have one, I assume you use it for sampling and there are no records here really, so you might not need that at all.

Quote:
    Do you think I would have a problem with the TSA or Customs if I pack some gear in a luggage?

They might ask about it but it shouldn’t be a problem.

Participant

Wow, I looked up some equipment on Taobao and the cost on equipment is alomost double of what I paid here in the States. Decisions decisions…

Quote:
    NI Maschine

AKAI MPK61

On Stage KS7150 Stand

Bluebird Mic

AJ, if I were you I’d look into shipping. I doubt you’re too far over 50kg there, if at all, and the cost might not be as alarming as you’d expect. Shipping it all would take away the hassle of buying everything left behind once you’re here, and a shipping company handles all customs related issues for you. Get a few prices, and go from there. You have plenty of time to figure it out.

Participant

Brendan, I think you’re right and shipping the equipment might be the best way. Need to crunch the numbers and go from there.

Keymaster

If you decide to ship it, let us know what you end up paying.

Participant

Will do.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.