Native English Teacher Needed for a 9 Year Old Boy

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsNative English Teacher Needed for a 9 Year Old Boy

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photo7.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

-Place to Teach: Tai Sen Lu in the center of Chengdu;

-Time and Date for Teaching: In the afternoon on the weekend; perhaps once or twice on the weekend;

-Hourly Wages: 120RMB/hour;

-About the Student: 9 years old boy, cute and talkative who can speak basic English;

-Date to Meet the Child: Around 21st of May.

-Kind Requirements:

1. Native English Teacher;

2. White, experienced and patient;

3. The teacher likes child and would like to teaching English while having fun;

4. Sometimes you can hang out in the park, the supermarket and some other real scenarios to practice and enjoy some snacks.

-Please feel free to contact if you are interested:

Cell Phone: 135 1817 8674

Telephone: 66556580

Email: [email protected]

Email 2: [email protected]

Contact Person: Forest Aike

Quote:
    -Kind Requirements:

1. Native English Teacher;

2. White, experienced and patient;

a white world 😉

Last time I checked we live in a (thankfully) multicultural world, and the more I see these requests for ‘white face’, the more compelled I feel to politely point out that subjective though your request may be, it’s deeply flawed (and slightly offensive). It also inadvertently reinforces the stereotype, and lessens the probability of a Chinese ‘native’ finding preference over an ‘English Native’ in future endeavours, regardless of qualification or composure. I’ve personally encountered said ‘Native English’ teachers here in Chengdu, and they’re less than expressive to say the least.

Perhaps you should be auditioning prospective teachers on the basis of language, and not colour. Just a thought.

Participant

u r so right, bro!

this nation has become so twisted that stereotype has rooted so deep.

shame on u, forestaike!

feel so sorry for the kid! wut kind of kid he will grow up and become?

Participant

Im Asian American with a perfect US accent. Perfect meaning, not Boston, NYC, valley or even Southern dialect (though i wish i could talk like them; redneck or new orleans gangsters). So i guess i dont qualify? Darn!

Participant

Firstly, I am NOT endorsing these kinds of discriminatory ads, but the guy who posted it is running a business, and it may be that the kid’s mother specifically requested a white foreign teacher. At my job certain students complained vocally when a Pakistani teacher was hired. That doesn’t make it right, just saying… Racism and discrimination go both ways (ie. when my estate agent tells my landlord that I’m a foreigner, basically throwing out the window any chance of getting a discount…) Again, just saying….

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Firstly, I am NOT endorsing these kinds of discriminatory ads, but the guy who posted it is running a business, and it may be that the kid’s mother specifically requested a white foreign teacher. At my job certain students complained vocally when a Pakistani teacher was hired. That doesn’t make it right, just saying… Racism and discrimination go both ways (ie. when my estate agent tells my landlord that I’m a foreigner, basically throwing out the window any chance of getting a discount…) Again, just saying….

You school hired a Pakistani teacher? They have guts. And it will probably hurt their bottom line. We’re a long, long way away from a China that does not judge people based on their skin pigment.

Participant

I know it’s crazy, but half of the job of teaching young kids in China is to convince them that foreigners are not from another planet, that we’re basically the same as them. I taught 3 year-olds once who were terrified of me (OK, I ain’t the prettiest face)the first time we met. So if mummy wants little Johhny (or jacky) to get used to what she perceives as a “foreigner”, it’s kinda understandable, if also misguided.

BTW:how many HSK-certified foreigners could score a job teaching Chinese, even if qualified and fluent…..? All those ads saying “Chinese person wanted for teaching /language exchange must be racist too?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    BTW:how many HSK-certified foreigners could score a job teaching Chinese, even if qualified and fluent…..? All those ads saying “Chinese person wanted for teaching /language exchange must be racist too?

Not that many since, generally speaking, a native Chinese speaker will absolutely destroy an HSK certified foreigner in terms of Chinese language skills. It’s not a fair fight at all though, we’re talking about native speakers. I’m sure we’ve all run into college English professors or English majors in China who speak terrible English, too.

Participant

Dude, you never met Randolph Ford, good buddy, lived here for 5 years. Studied traditonal Chinese at NYU. Astounding Chinese ability. Could not get a gig teaching Chinese to foreigners…even basic beginners….

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Dude, you never met Randolph Ford, good buddy, lived here for 5 years. Studied traditonal Chinese at NYU. Astounding Chinese ability. Could not get a gig teaching Chinese to foreigners…even basic beginners….

It doesn’t surprise me too much. If I were seeking a Chinese teacher I would definitely aim for a native speaker.

Participant

Yeah, i don’t wanna be “woe is me” here, but i still come across schools that specify “foreign teacher wanted. Must be North American (or Canamerican)”. Being non- Canamerican i deal with it. Invariably the school will call back and say “we can accept you”… It’s all good…

I realise it’s largely an insulated viewpoint also, even middle class China has limited exposure culturally outside of the country. I just find it both fundamentally, and nonsensically wrong, soap box aside. I do happen to know Chinese native English teachers here in Chengdu who have great ability, so it’s interesting to see how that can be forsaken for appearances. Discrimination posing as prestige!

Participant

JerryS if you are ever looking for a native redneck teacher let me know. 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.