New in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduNew in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I trust you guys are all doing well today.

My name is Karim and I am from Belgium. However, my parents are from Morocco. So I’m happy I got to know the culture of both. I am 26 years old  and I am finally moving to Chengdu mid’ August. I will be working as an Expat in the Marketing and Event industry with a foreign recruiting company. I have been travelling throughout China before, been to places as Beijing, Xiamen, Shanghai, Shenzhen, etc.. Also, I have been travelling through most of all Asian countries last couple of years. I love food, culture, languages, meeting new people, reading books, game of thrones/walking dead, and most of all, I love adventure!

Just a couple of questions:

– If there are any people I could meet to go and hang out, get to know the environment, does not matter if you are a foreigner or a local person.

– I am also looking for a gym membership, any leads/prices?

– Also looking in to learning Mandarin (hints/tips?), I can also teach any of my languages.

– Any good places where I can find some very spicy food, I loooooove spicy food.

Anyway, you can always contact me in this forum and if any people want to meet up, I have wechat so we can see from there. Looking forward hearing from you !!

Take care,

Karim

Participant

Hi Karim,

One suggestion would be to download the app “Wechat” which has become to the most popular messaging app in China and used by all expats and young Chinese people here. You could use this to connect with people on the forum here and beyond, and make some connections before you arrive. My wechat ID is UKMichael

Gyms: About 1500 to 4000 per year depending on the gym. You need to negotiate pretty hard on the price because the ‘rate price’ is normally high.

Mandarin: Get a teacher, get a girlfriend/Chinese friends who don’t speak English. Use the app “Memrise” for flashcard learning.

Spicy food: Literally on every corner of the city, and locals will love to share this part of their culture with you.

Participant

Hi Karim, welcome to Chengdu, I would love to be your guide in Chengdu, I am local person, and perfect English speaker, furthemore, a Chinese teacher. I work for Rainbow Chinese Language Institute(http://irainbowconcept.com), you can check the web if you like. They also organize interested events for expat in Chengdu.
    If you want to learn Chinese, I guess communicate skill is the first step, so there is a curriculum suit your needs very much,”SURVIVAL CHINESE”, be compiled by Rainbow Chinese school, an exclusive curriculum! which include 500 useful words, 32 daily topic, after 3 months studying, you can achive HSK 2(Chinese level exam).
    If you want to know more, please check http://irainbowcocept.com, or mail to [email protected]. I would love to offer any help! GOOD LUCK

Participant

Hi Michael, thanks for the information. I added you on Wechat just now.

It’s great to meet new people from Chengdu.

Will continue on Wechat

You would probably feel right at home at the Beer Nest. Some friendly, energetic, and business-minded Belgians there.

There’s a group viewing of Game of Thrones at Maccu Picchu 2 every Monday, usually (though that might be on hiatus now that Hise is on vacay).

What area are you living/working in? We might be able to help you with gym recommendations by location.

Keep an eye on the forums as most exciting events get posted here.
    Welcome to Chengdu!

Participant

“There’s a group viewing of Game of Thrones at Maccu Picchu 2 every Monday”

What, still? The next episode is like 40 weeks off. 😀

Participant

Hi, you can search an official account: Rainbow_Concept , they will share many tips of life in Chengdu, and interested events in Chengdu, and learn some Mandarin through it.

“There’s a group viewing of Game of Thrones at Maccu Picchu 2 every Monday”

What, still? The next episode is like 40 weeks off. :D

oh balls. that’s right. season ended already. Well I think they’re trying to keep doing movie nights at least. The projector and sound in there is excellent.

Keymaster

oh balls. that’s right. season ended already. Well I think they’re trying to keep doing movie nights at least. The projector and sound in there is excellent.

Right, I think they’re doing the movie night there on Mondays, the same day that they were screening GoT. Starts around 9pm if I’m not mistaken and they have discounts on their awesome pizza.

Participant

“There’s a group viewing of Game of Thrones at Maccu Picchu 2 every Monday” What, still? The next episode is like 40 weeks off. :D

Thank you !!

Participant

You would probably feel right at home at the Beer Nest. Some friendly, energetic, and business-minded Belgians there. There’s a group viewing of Game of Thrones at Maccu Picchu 2 every Monday, usually (though that might be on hiatus now that Hise is on vacay). What area are you living/working in? We might be able to help you with gym recommendations by location. Keep an eye on the forums as most exciting events get posted here. Welcome to Chengdu!

Thank you for the information !

I would rather not meet other Belgian people :p Crossing the world to be in the same environment is something I rather not.. I rather hang out with locals and other foreigners…

Keymaster

Thank you for the information ! I would rather not meet other Belgian people :p Crossing the world to be in the same environment is something I rather not.. I rather hang out with locals and other foreigners…

That is an awesome attitude. You will have a good time in Chengdu, it’s easy to make friends here.

Participant

hi ….karim

welcome to chengdu

I am leena , local  person ,working in chengdu hospital ,  , you know … i have friend from Morocco, he is name is Karim too, so nice to see you !

chengdu is a full culture city ,a lot of foods…clubs …and fashine peoples, specially for the hotpot ,it’s most famous spicy food in chengdu , by the way ,i am teaching some foreigners mandarin languages as they need , i would like to help you ,for the future communication pls add my wechat     : leena09192009

Participant

hi ….karim welcome to chengdu I am leena , local person ,working in chengdu hospital , , you know … i have friend from Morocco, he is name is Karim too, so nice to see you ! chengdu is a full culture city ,a lot of foods…clubs …and fashine peoples, specially for the hotpot ,it’s most famous spicy food in chengdu , by the way ,i am teaching some foreigners mandarin languages as they need , i would like to help you ,for the future communication pls add my wechat : leena09192009

Hey Leena ! Hope you are doing well. I just added you on Wechat.

Participant

That is an awesome attitude. You will have a good time in Chengdu, it’s easy to make friends here.

Thanks for the advice !! Take care

Participant

Hey Karim,

We are looking forward to welcoming you to our team!

I am also pleased to see you proactively using these forums – they are a daily read for me and very useful for getting an insight into what is going on in Chengdu!

Looking forward to working with you from next month!

Cheers,

Paul

Participant

Hey Karim, We are looking forward to welcoming you to our team! I am also pleased to see you proactively using these forums – they are a daily read for me and very useful for getting an insight into what is going on in Chengdu! Looking forward to working with you from next month! Cheers, Paul

Looking forward too Paul !

Participant

Hey Karim

i’m Marcel a franco-congolese je vais parler en français je vie en chine depuis près de  ans et je serais sur chengdu au mois d’Aout je suis etudiant et je viens de m’inscrire à l’université de sichuan qui est à chengdu j’espère qu’on pourrai faire connaissance voici mon wechat MarcelCelio ajoute moi merci

Participant

Hi,

I’m new to Chengdu too. I’ll be moving there in 2 weeks and I know absolutely no-one.

Moving there from the UK and I’m also Moroccan.

I’m anxious and excited, so I hope to meet other expats soon! (or locals)

My weChat ID is: nawally28

Nawal

Participant

Karim, welcome you to Chengdu. I’m a half-local, and now practicing as a lawyer here. My wechat is: 18680320422

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.