Passport Question

HomeForumsIn ChengduPassport Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone, haven’t visited for a while!

Excuse me,

If a passport is valid until June 12th, how to continue into July 12th? During this period of time will travel other provinces and cities in China, train and accommodation need the passport.

I remember there was a post about it, but I did not find it.

Keymaster

Hi Shinichi,

Do you mean a passport (护照) or visa (签证)? If you mean passport, you do that at the consulate of your country (or with the Chinese government, if you’re a Chinese citizen). If you mean visa, I think you can renew it at the Exit Entry Bureau which is just north of Tianfu Square.

Participant

Not mine, is a Canadian passport or visa

Keymaster

Not mine, is a Canadian passport or visa

Must be the visa. I believe this is where you should go to inquire:

Alien’s Exit and Entry Administration Office of the Chengdu Municipal Public Security Bureau
    Addr: #39 Shuncheng Street, Chengdu City
    Tel:028-86407769 86407198

Participant

I think so 🙂

Thank you charlie !

Participant

@ shinichi – if your passport has expired then it is no longer valid and if you are not in your home country at the time then you are an illegal alien even if they have made a mistake and issued a visa that goes beyond the expiry date of your passport. To be legally resident in China (and elswhere apart from your home country) then you need a current visa AND a current passport.

It is unlikely that you could replace your passport in the remaining time. However, if you did so then you would presumably have to send it back to your home country for replacement. If you do so then you are technically breaking Chinese law because, as a foreigner, you are required to carry your passport with you at all times (small laugh). The only way you could get away with it is if you ensure that you are NEVER in a position where you have to present your passport because the local PSB aparently have no solution to the problem of having to send your passport for renewal even if it is still valid. The best I could come up with was to go to a public notary office and get it copied and witnessed before sending it out of the country but the PSB just said – ‘if you don’t get caught then you wont need it but the law is still the law’ or words to that effect but a notorized passport is not a recognised acceptable alternative albeit that it might get you out of serious trouble if the passport was still valid.

If I am wrong then I would be delighted to hear about it because I also have the need to renew my passport coming up in a few months but the above is based on what I have established so far.

It is unlikely that you could replace your passport in the remaining time. However, if you did so then you would presumably have to send it back to your home country for replacement.

If you are British then you send a photocopy of your passport, with forms and fee to Hong Kong. I believe some checking and processing is done there, then a new passport is dispatched from the UK.

Participant

Thank you guys, now i understand

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.