QingMing paper luxury items, where to buy?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionQingMing paper luxury items, where to buy?

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoOno.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I hear that for QingMing, people will not only burn paper ‘money’ at their family’s graves, but also a whole range of other ‘luxury’ items that may come in handy in heaven: iPhones, cars, etc. That sounds like a really cool idea to me, and I would love to have a look at the shops selling these things. Does any of you know where to go to buy QingMing paper stuff?

Participant

I can’t figure out if this is a joke post or you’re serious..

You want paper phones, cars..for heaven?

Participant

Wenshu Monastery and Daci Temple…on the middle day of July according to Chinese lunar calendar.lyou could get the sacrificed material in a local free market by some pedlers.

Participant

It’s not good for the environment.

Participant

@Rick, don’t you think it is brilliant? Why would the forefathers only need money up there? 😉 I even heard a joke about it: boy is burning an iPad at his grandfather’s grave. Says his brother: that’s silly, grandfather never learnt how to use it! Says the boy: but Steve Jobs is up there too, he can show him how… (and just to put things clear, I don’t want to use it for myself, I’m not going anywhere just now, hopefully 😉 I just want to have a look at the stuff.

@Ono, yes, you’re absolutely right. So are Easter bonfires, and incense burning. But I’d rather have the pollution of one QingMing than of the factories running all year round.

Participant

@Kim, I have no ideas about doing right things…My grandpa burns paper money to my grandma and his parents every year.I told him,”grandpa y don’t you just burn cheque to grandma?She can use the cheque any time in any amount to buy whatever she wants.” “It’s just to remember.”he said.

Participant

haha, that’s great! Of course the point of these practices is in the act, not in the ‘reality’ of it. That makes these iPads so brilliant, I think. It is taking the tradition seriously, and at the same time looks at it with a wink and a smile. Perhaps it will get younger people to keep and treasure the tradition…

Participant

Yeah,treasure the tradition…So i want to learn Chinese caligraphy again…there’s a song about DuanWu performed in a gig by DH & Chinesehellcats,diamonds for Monroe and Zongzi for Quyuan.hahaha. http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/wWvkU0tJKDg/

Participant

Last year I visited a cemetery with my wife, so I know that these items are available at the cemetery. Better to give them these things while they are still living..as well as your love. The visitors talk to the dead, but it is a one-way conversation. Steve Jobs & co are not up there. They are in the soil becoming compost. Fortunately Christians who care to read, have a guide Eccl 9:5.

Like the idea of burning a cheque…LOL. Treasure a stupid tradition,why?

Participant

It’s a funny tradition. Like going to a grave to lay flowers?

It is a a tradition that is often quite funny to some of the local younger generation over here. They do often find it amusing to burn the paper iphones, houses etc.

As Kim says, perhaps it will help preserve the tradition amongst the young. Also, these objects are symbols of success over here so it is more the symbolism behind them not just objects.

But after going to a ‘wake’ in Chengdu for 3 days after a death, and celebrating and remembering that person every Sunday for a month it is quite a nice tradition since the ceremony is mostly for those who are trying to let go of their loved ones

Quote:
    Fortunately Christians who care to read, have a guide Eccl 9:5.

Who gives a shit. Why pitch your religion or beliefs over someone else’s.

Quote:

Like the idea of burning a cheque…LOL. Treasure a stupid tradition,why?

I’m sure you are a nice guy but what a stupid idiotic thing to say.

How many stupid weird things Christians do.

Keymaster

I’ve never seen these kind of things for sale in Chengdu, but my best guess would be Hehuachi market in the north, which sells a lot of seasonal things like this. I usually associate this practice with Hong Kong – shops selling paper iPhones and luxury cars are common there. Pretty funny ritual.

Participant

Even in death Chinese people are competitive.

Participant

Absolutely Hehuachi is a fantastic place hahaha…when i was a senior highschool student i got used to buy drawing and painting materials at Hehuachi.It came to a lower price when i bought a larger amount.There’re a few wholesale markets around the North Railway Station area,including stationery wholesale.

Chinese’s became competitive since the growth of housing price,land value and even the graves.

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

hope for luv n peace…

Participant

Anyways,Qingming is a good time for a hiking to the suburbs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.