Relocation For Newbies

HomeForumsIn ChengduRelocation For Newbies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey guys… first off, this is an awesome site. Thanks for creating this whole ecosystem for the benefit of expats.

I would really appreciate some practical advice on temporary relocation to Chengdu.

I’m a UK graduate considering job opportunities with the architecture firm AEDES (they have an office in Bin Jiang East Road.) A position between 6 months to a year… maybe more?

Anyway, as a newbie that has never been to China, or ever relocated overseas for that matter, where would I start? What are all the steps to take?

Details are a bit ambiguous, but the company did emphasise that visas, flight cost, and accommodation cost will be subsidised. So presumably that would only leave me with the search for apartments… am I right? I realise it’s ‘not’ a clear cut, smooth process, but advice from all you experienced travellers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all 🙂

Mike

Keymaster

Hey Mike,

It will be pretty easy for you if you already have a job set up – they will take care of the major hassles like visa and perhaps housing as well (ask them about that). Usually when China-based employers hire foreigners from overseas they’ll set you up with an apartment (or optionally) give you a housing allowance. Finding an apartment isn’t too difficult, but their help will make it a lot easier.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

** Administrator’s note: This post created by a Maxxelli employee **

Hi, why don’t you use a relocation firm? I used Maxxelli Real Estate to find a place, and so far, I didn’t’ experience any problems.

Thanks for the reply Charlie.

Any advice on ways to find places to stay? Some people have also suggested apartment-share programs.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Any advice on ways to find places to stay? Some people have also suggested apartment-share programs.

The easiest thing to do is go through your employer – speak to AEDES about your housing situation. If that doesn’t work out, it’s probably a lot easier to get your own place rather than figure out how share an apartment in Chengdu if you don’t know anyone. If you’re looking for a roommate, you can create a thread on the forum and see if anyone has a room available.

Yes. I will be contacting the company for more information.

Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.