Renting a car – Experiences?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionRenting a car – Experiences?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Have any of you ever rented a car here in Chengdu? Was wondering how reliable/trustworthy the companies are in general, since it’s pretty common in many places for the dealer to rip you off somehow (dents they claim havent been there before aso.)
    What about big companies like Avis or ZuChe? Prices seem pretty reasonable.

Participant

Haven’t rented but I did talk to a company about it. Oddly enough enough they said they would accept an international driver’s license. As far as I know they are still not accepted in China.

Participant

@ Brain So how can one be able to drive if they have an international driving license during their stay in Chengdu for a short term, say one month?

Participant

Apparently, most people don’t. Unless you’ve got some bullet proof insurance, or just like taking risks, I wouldn’t. But, then, rule bending is a way of life around here.

Bullet proof travel insurance isn’t going to help you when you are in an accident and someone else is hurt. No licence = no car insurance. There are a few stories online of foreigners getting involved in serious accidents and being deported for not having a licence. I would assume that is after paying out $$$ in compensation.

My recommendation is that if you are here long term and want to drive, get a Chinese licence. If you are only here for a month then hire a driver.

Participant

With all the police around at every corner of Chengdu these days one has to be really stupid driving without a proper chinese license imo. Smaller towns somewhere in the country might be a different story since they seldom bother doing traffic stops – still you have to know the risks – high fines if they do catch you + what Ben said.
    @Brian: The companies might not know or care about the rules regarding foreigners driving in China.
    Anyone else with a license whos rented cars before?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.