Saying hi…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSaying hi…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m Lisa, from upstate NY.I’m moving to Chengdu in a year to… ohmigosh… teach English. Which is what I currently do here at home, but I need a change of venue.

I knew I wanted to come to China.. have for a very long time… just not sure where I wanted to go. I found this blog quite by accident; but what I’ve read here has been huge in determining where. Every time I learn something new about Chengdu, I find it to be a more perfect fit. So thanks 😉 I even picked the ‘Du before realizing the panda research base was so close. haha

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, thanks, and.. looking forward to asking lots of questions. And meeting you guys 🙂

Thanks

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum!

I don’t think you’ll regret your decision to head to the Du. A year from now it will have undergone a host of changes, and attracted more diversity from all corners. Chengdu has a pace, and sense of it’s own that is immediately tangible when you land here. A far cry from upstate NY!

I have to ask, what is it for you that attracts you to Chengdu over other destinations? And what is it that you’d sooner NOT find present here, that you see in other cities?

Good luck in your new venture out here!

Hi Brendan and thanks!

There is a lot I’ve read about Chengdu that I find appealing over other cities. Chengdu seems to me to have a big city busy life feel, but still laid back and relaxed. A place to enjoy your surroundings, with a LOT of different things to enjoy. I also like that it seems more centralized to other cities/sites that I am interested in than Beijing or Shanghai. I can take weekend trips to several spots without spending the entire weekend on the train, or my entire budget on the plane.

I’m also under the impression that Chengdu is cleaner than Beijing or Shanghai. I actually kind of enjoy the whole breathing thing. Call me a wimp if ya want… I can take it. 😉

After I decided on Chengdu, I discovered the Panda research base there. I was planning on going to Wolong. I’m a panda fanatic. I can’t even tell you how much I’m looking forward to holding one, even for only 2 minutes.

What I don’t want to find… is.. I haven’t really thought about it. My biggest fear is having a squat toilet in my apartment lol. I’m likely to fall in during the middle of the night. Other than that, I’m ready to take it as it is. Enjoy the experience.

Participant

LOL I’m right there with you on the squat toilet. I know my apt. doesn’t have one though, so that’s good. I’m sure it’ll happen sooner or later, but I just wonder how long it will be before I’m out and get stuck using one in an emergency.

Participant

I know it seems ‘weird’ to have a squat toilet to a western observer, but I actually prefer them..*especially* in public washrooms, no physical contact required, and the body’s position seems to make everything happen much more cleanly and complete. 😉

RE: Chengdu weekend trips, if you’re not planning to fly, there are only a couple places within the 2-3 hour range worth visiting..but all of them will require your familiarity with *squat toilets*!

Squat toilets are an issue for many, including me, even though they are genuinely better for you and your colon! As for public washrooms, seeing as they seem almost never to be well kept or respected, let alone with paper, I always do my best to locate a bowl! But sure enough from time to time you’ll have to suck that one up, along with other things us Laowai’s have to.

Incidentally that’s one thing that really surprised me about the new subway stations. Not one decent toilet in sight, let alone a bowl. That’s a huge oversight considering the number of people who’ll be passing through in the coming years.

These are the small things we’re all in the habit of being used to… Almost!

Speaking of squat toilets… Does anyone else do a quick back kick to flush, then instantly flee?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Speaking of squat toilets… Does anyone else do a quick back kick to flush, then instantly flee?

Hahahaha.. yeah man, you never know which are the ones that will splash. Always keep distance when flushing just to be safe.

Squat toilets are actually a lot better for you as was already mentioned, in addition to being more hygienic since there is no physical contact.

Participant

Maybe I’m just dense, but I’ve not figured out how to squat without still being directly over my pants. I’d have to just take them off completely unless there was some bar or something that you could hold on to and lean back.

Participant

Maybe I’m just dense, but I’ve not figured out how to squat without still being directly over my pants. I’d have to just take them off completely unless there was some bar or something that you could hold on to and lean back.

Participant

you gotta do the rockaway and leeeean back

Participant

Quote:

lolol

heels flat, hug knees, head as forward as you can. I got this shit down. (pun intended)

I miss playing scrabble on my phone though.

Quote:

lolol

heels flat, hug knees, head as forward as you can. I got this shit down. (pun intended)

I miss playing scrabble on my phone though.

Participant

If you absolutely cant handle the squat you can buy a little wooden stool with a hole in it (basically a baby’s seat). My first place had one in the bathroom, and the landlord told me that the previous foreign tenant had bought it. Just test it BEFORE you do the business, or you could end up IN the business…. Oh yeah, make sure the hole is big enough for your foreign ass, that’s important too…

Participant

If you absolutely cant handle the squat you can buy a little wooden stool with a hole in it (basically a baby’s seat). My first place had one in the bathroom, and the landlord told me that the previous foreign tenant had bought it. Just test it BEFORE you do the business, or you could end up IN the business…. Oh yeah, make sure the hole is big enough for your foreign ass, that’s important too…

You guys are killing me! I’m learning more about squat toilets here than I have watchin videos on youtube! (Im kidding!) I’m thinking, though, that I should leave squat toilets as part of the mystery of the far east… or something. 🙂

Thanks for the info, and the laughs 🙂

Participant

Hey hi lisa, welcome to Chengdu, it seems you have do alot of homework about Chengdu:D. Hope you can enjoy your journey! By the way, there is a kind of resterant in Chengdu named Bookworm. you might like. Good luck!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.