Searching for Standup Comics

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSearching for Standup Comics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey folks,

the comedy nights are getting bigger and bigger in the bookworm these days, with the Shanghai KungFuKomedy guys coming down once a month. However, we are looking for more local based comedians.

I’ll be hosting Chengdu’s first stand up open mic night on Thursday April 17th at the bookworm. If you are a comic or fancy just giving it a go then give me a shout at [email protected].

All performers get 2 free beers.

Come on, don’t say you’ve never thought about it!

Participant

Ari Shaffir is coming to China. You should try to book him for a night. I would definitely come.

Participant

Ari Shaffir is coming to China. You should try to book him for a night. I would definitely come.

It would be great, unfortunately well above our budget at the moment, if we can build a scene here though then who knows what could be possible in the future.

Participant

Keymaster

It would be great, unfortunately well above our budget at the moment, if we can build a scene here though then who knows what could be possible in the future.

Damnit! That would be amazing to see Ari Shaffir here. Collin, where is he performing? Shanghai and Beijing?

Participant

There’s quite a few American comics coming over to do the China tour at the moment. Just this last two months there’s been Paul Ogata, Ruben Paul, Butch Bradley and Jimmy Shubert. All organized by kungfukomedy Shanghai, we get their regular comics to come to bookworm once a month.

When American comics come over they usually play Shanghai, Suzhou, Beijing and Wuxi. All these places have comedy clubs with a regular scene. By getting expat comics from Shanghai and Beijing down here we are slowly getting the word out that Chengdu is good place to do a show. If we keep getting crowds then it won’t be long until Chengdu is a part of the regular comedy circuit.

Of course we still have to look into the fact that for big names like I mentioned above they usually charge 2-300 a ticket, a big gamble in a place like Chengdu, but if we have regular crowds we can put feelers out.

Next one is April 26th by the way, with KungFuKomedy founder Andy Curtain.

Keymaster

Next one is April 26th by the way, with KungFuKomedy founder Andy Curtain.

Is there a flyer for that? Definitely post that here. Also if there’s someone that I can interview for Chengdu Living to learn more about the origin of these standup events, I’d be happy to do that and help you guys get some more exposure.

Participant

Thanks Charlie! Hopefully will have the flyer in the next couple of days, still waiting on stuff from Shanghai. I’ll definitely post it here when I have it.

The two main people involved are me (Rob) and Andrew (manager of the bookworm) he does all the booking and stuff and I help promote plus host the shows. An interview would be cool, to get more exposure would be fantastic. If you want to get in contact
    WeChat ID: Bohemianrob

Cheers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.