Seeking Advice re: Meeting People/Dating

HomeForumsClassifiedsPersonalsSeeking Advice re: Meeting People/Dating

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Chengdu’ers,

It’s Chelsi here. 28, Chinese female, location: Chengdu’s Gaoxin District.

A bit about myself:

I work 9 to 6, Monday to Friday in Software Park.

Growing up I was greatly influenced by (the good) western culture.

Lived in Australia from 2012 to 2015.

I came back to Chengdu in July, 2015 and had a reverse culture shock for quite a while. Having trouble meeting like-minded people so I’ve been leading a pretty “secluded” life. My daily routine has been like work-gym-home for as long as I can remember. Lately I thought to myself this situation has to change so I’ve been thinking about new means to meet people; and meeting the expat community by far seems like a good idea. Bing search (Google not available here, grrr…) brought me here and this site has a pretty good vibe to me – cool contents and closely knitted community (looks like so) so I’m hoping to get some ideas on how to meet like-minded people.

What I am looking for: genuine friendships, potential dates (I’m straight, if that helps), and interesting events where nice/fun conversations happen, etc. Not really a nightclub person and don’t bother with social media these days although I certainly have a Wechat account lol.

Hit the reply button and drop your ideas please, and thank you! 🙂

Btw, the “do not enter phone number if you are not a robot” thing on the register page cracked me up, definitely more fun than clicking on “pictures with street signs in them”. Listened to a couple podcasts as well, nicely done, Charlie and contributors! 🙂

Chels

Keymaster

Hi Chengdu’ers, It’s Chelsi here. 28, Chinese female, location: Chengdu’s Gaoxin District. A bit about myself: I work 9 to 6, Monday to Friday in Software Park.

Welcome! For dating it seems like most of my friends are using Tinder or Tantan… not sure how well that will work out for you, but it is the popular option at this point in time. There are a lot of expat-friendly venues in Chengdu if you are interested in checking those out (I assume you are if you are posting here, since this site is English-only). Unfortunately the donut shop Johnny 5 recently closed, but… check out some of the other listings on Chengdu Places.

If you are free tonight, there are a few events at Berlin Haus. This is a great venue to check out, friendly people and they host good regular events. They have good food during the daytime if you’re free on weekends, too.

Btw, the “do not enter phone number if you are not a robot” thing on the register page cracked me up, definitely more fun than clicking on “pictures with street signs in them”. Listened to a couple podcasts as well, nicely done, Charlie and contributors! 🙂 Chels

Appreciated!

I know for a fact that there have been at least 5 marriages that have resulted from people meeting at Dave’s Oasis bar. It’s a stretch, but you could check it out.

Participant

Ha ha I can see all the singletons racing to Dave’s Oasis Bar, that’s it I am heading over there, see what you started Chris 🙂 although you may just have come up with a genius idea.

Participant

Thanks Charlie for your info. 🙂 Not a fan of Tinder myself as I am a bit against the mentality that the app was built on. Don’t know what a Tantan is lol. I guess I’m a bit old school when it comes to dating, why I’ve been having difficulty meeting people lol.

I used to play a lot of cassette games as a kid (good old times!) but not anymore as I age, so definitely won’t be able to beat all the gamers at an event like that ha ha. Would totally enjoy a few game sessions though.

I think what I’m getting at are events that are more “conversational” and mentally stimulating – good chats, or something similar. Will definitely check out other events on this site. 🙂

Participant

Thanks Chris 🙂 Not necessarily aiming for marriage but if a meetup can lead to a friendship and then something more I’d call myself a lucky person ha ha. Read the most recent article on Dave’s Oasis, never had poutine before and have a pretty good impression on Canada as a country so that place is officially on my list now. 🙂

Participant

Hi Sweet, I was thinking about the same thing. Not sure what the speed dating scene is like here in Chengdu but maybe someone like a restaurant owner could set up one and see how it goes? Also is there like a stand-up comedy thing in Chengdu? I heard that they have a pretty similar thing going on at The Bookworm but never checked it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Personals’ is closed to new topics and replies.